Late 08 MBP - Audio

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Red-red, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Red-red macrumors 6502

How good is the audio on the MBP?

I don't mean the speakers I mean the output.

2. rm8t macrumors newbie

New MBP output is great!

Really clean.

All the weird robotic squeeks and noise are gone. I tested it this morning in a quiet room with Etymotic in-ear monitors using several lossless audio files.

I'm quite relieved. I was using an M-Audio Transit USB DAC on the previous MBP. Now I don't need to pack it.

3. poisontwilight macrumors newbie

This was the biggest thing keeping me from buying a MBP, those damn robotic r2d2 noises.

Can anyone else check to see if this problem is indeed fixed?

4. hypmatize macrumors regular

5. Red-red thread starter macrumors 6502

How powerful is it?

I'm not a audio buff by no stretch but I know that when I first heard my cousins creative x fi I was amazing at how clear it was compared to my audigy 2zs in the PC. You then compare it to the standard onboard you get etc.

I just want it to sound good when I stick my headphones in it. For example even the iphone when I stick my HD595's in it sounds amazing ( something I didn't expect ).

6. lauph macrumors regular

Theres a difference between clean sound, and "enhanced" sound.

I think X-Fis enhance them rather than keeping them original and clean.

7. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

its pretty sad when you use that soundcard to improve the onboard DAC

8. lauph macrumors regular

The new MBPs have the r2d2 for half a second or so after the intended audio signal stops, just like the previous MBPs, but it is much much much softer. Should be negligible using less sensitive audio equipment, since I was using custom in-ears to test it, and it is already really soft using those.

9. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

am i the only one having hissing noise with 3 expensive earphones?
    btw im on my second late mbp

10. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

There's a slight hiss when no sound is playing. Overall I'd say the quality is very good though.

11. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

i would have to say not better then my normal hp laptop.. and it doesnt have a hiss-static noise. and i did review both of them at once.

12. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

I was assured by a top level customer service supervisor that the audio was completely redone for the new MBP and so far its been perfect for me.

13. benjs macrumors regular

Anyone know whether the audio has been improved on the current 17" model as well?

14. richardsim7 macrumors regular

richardsim7

I'm using the optical jack, and the sound is fantastic!! :D

-Rich-

15. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

ya, and what converter?

16. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

17. hari-bhari macrumors regular

i can still confirm that the r2d2 beeping noise and the hiss is there, but like stated above it is much softer. i had an early 2008 mbp before this, and im thinking mine was one of the worser ones, so compared to that this one's not as bad though. im also just using the crappy iphone headphones, im sure higher quality ones would help but it still doesnt bother me much

18. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Well its not there on mine but then again I have yet to try the iPod phones. The ones I use are MOS and they're not high end or anything.

19. Kevenly macrumors regular

Kevenly

I have been using an iMic since I received this new MBP last week. It is an older iMic, first generation actually. The sound had been really nice out of it.
    Last night I was looking at Audio/MIDI Setup and noticed the built in jacks had 98hz, 24-bit input and output so I decided to give it a test drive.

I was appalled to find the most horrid noisy sound output I have ever heard in my life from any device. Bleeps, whines, hums, and a ridiculously loud buzzing sound.. The sort you normally get when you have a plug half-inserted.

I pulled the plug out and put it into my iPod. Crystal clear. I pulled the plug out of the iPod and plugged it into my Titanium Powerbook 550Mhz G4. Crystal clear. I put it back into my new MBP 2.8Ghz.. The worst noise ever.
    There was even a certain whine that was constant but would go away whenever I moved the mouse, switching back on as soon as mouse movement stopped. I received an AM radio station too over the line.

The noise shuts off quickly when nothing is coming through the audio channel, but starts up immediately when sound output is activated through adjusting the volume level or playing music.

Then I found that if I unplugged my firewire drive, the loudest buzz would go away. There was still a lot of noise though.. Which I managed to get rid of by unplugging my M-Audio Midisport Uno USB interface.

I found that as long as I have nothing but a keyboard and mouse plugged in, there is very little noise.

Yet I can have all these things plugged into my 7 year old TiBook G4 without any noise or problems whatsoever. The TiBook is plugged into the same outlet, the same circuit, same cords, the same everything as the MBP and no noise or radio stations or anything with it.

Suffice to say I find this disappointing and strange, and I don't know if I have a bad logic board or they are just this poorly made.

For all the amazing technology in front of me I find it odd that they wouldn't be able to properly shield the audio circuit.

If this is how they all are and you depend on built-in audio, watch out.

20. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

The new MBP has excellent audio. Even the new MB has improved the audio.

21. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I've owned the previous 2.6ghz 17" hi res led backlit mbp last year and the new unibody 15" mbp's speakers/audio seems like they stuck the 17" mbp's speakers into this 15" mbp.

22. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

No audio problems here with the 2.8 MBP. I've been using Sennheiser PX100, iPod phones and a few others. Of course it doesn't sound as good as using the Duet, but it's fine for everyday listening.

23. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Are you sure its dead silent all the time? even when you start up itunes or something related the audio?

Im really frustrated about my new mbp, im using sennheiser x300, vmoda and bose and on all i get this strong hissing noise and then it goes away after a few seconds when i stop audio. also when i browse my dock or file menu it makes a clicking noise. im going crazy!:(

I did call applecare and they told me to try to take out the battery and all that but it didnt help so they told me to check it out at an apple store, why should i do that when i just got my mbp? and its the second mbp im on having this issue

24. DYER macrumors 6502

well Headphones sound disastrous on my MBP and they are not cheap ones I have the nice in ear B&O's and I dont know why but my macbook doesnt like them terrible hissing noise all the bloody time which was killing me. when i use the same output for my bose media speakers i do not get a hiss so you can go figuere on that....
    Optical is err optical ie PERFECT. very nice cannot complain about optical but it is hard to get wrong... sounds awesome once it had run through my amp (then again most things do lol)
    I am trying to sort out that headphone slot though the lord know whats going on there

EDIT: If anyone is talking about the built in speakers they are not great but not too bad for a laptop however i wouldnt use them for anything other than background music whilst working when i do not have my headphones with me