Late '08 MBP - Quick Review & Gaming Review

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheSVD, Dec 28, 2008.

1. TheSVD macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

Hey guys, so damn impressed with my mbp i thought id have to just give a shout here to say how damn good it is :p

Bought the basline version - 2.4, 2GB, 256 9600M.

And what can i say! I'm absoloutley amazed.
    Startup into osx was in about 20 seconds and still is, unlike windows where startup time slowly grows.

The mulittouch features most think are little gimmicks are actually very useful.

Very good build quality, with beautiful display and nice backlit keyboard.

Also, the speakers are loud. And i mean reealll loud. Ive never seen so much noise come from a laptop.

Few little first impressions there :)

Gaming
    One of the reasons i bought this laptop was to game on it. Thanks to youtube, i happened to know it could handle games pretty well. But bloody hell, did i underestimate it...

Got windows on it fine with bootcamp, SP2 home on NTFS.
    No graphic updates, had no black screening problems which some people have had.

STALKER: Shadow of Chernoybl -
    Was very very impressed with how this runs, especially it being a graphic intensive game. It can run it all at full, with
    - 6 x AA
    - 16 x AF
    - All textures at full
    - In nvidia control panel: high quaility mipmap, and trilinear optimization.
    Havent got an FPS report as of yet, but it runs percfetcly. Little lagyy when the action gets going, but just knock down the AA - looks fine without it anyways.

Test drive unlimited -
    Again, very impressed with how this ran. Some of you probably havent heard of this game, but again, very graphic intensive.
    Same as stalker, ran all at full with 4xAA, 16xAF and same in nvidia.
    Looks amazing, runs better than my pc with a 3.2 pentium D, 4GB DDr2 and X1950 pro.

left4dead -
    Just got off this, and am totally amazed at hor far you can push that laptop - being keen, i whacked all settings up to full - with 16x Qc (something or other) anti aliasing, 16xAF, all textures at full - looked amazing, and ran perrrrfectly. Can definitely tell theres a high fps on this one, not choppy at all.

Overall, while this is brief, you should get the kinda idea about how kick ass this laptop is. There is not one thing wrong with it.

The speakers are good, the performance is good, the features are good, the looks are good - 10/10.

And for those of you having heat issues - do try and remember this is an aliminium laptop and (so ive heard) it uses itself as a kid of heatsink dispersinfg heat througouht the laptop, even making the keys a little hot - nothing dangerous though. It does get very hot while gaming, but then most computers do - not a problem at all, was playing left4dead for 3 hours, came off of it, fans shut off, and its all cool again.

I highly recommend this laptop to anyone looking for a good gaming machine and just for pure goodness and reliability :) Many people say its not a gaming machine - but trust me, it frickin is.

/joy rant from over excited teenager with his first proper mac. ;)

2. Dipdip macrumors member

Have you gamed on OSX with graphic intensive games? Like COD 4?

3. himynameisjon macrumors newbie

himynameisjon

there is not a game on the market the mac book pro cant run, even your most challenging ones, Half Life 2, Oblivion, Stalker, Gears Of War, COD4, it will even run crysis a windows exclusive game that boasted to require new levels of graphics output, it truly is a good buy

4. TheSVD thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

Nah i dont game in osx, i game in windows. Sory :)
    But it would no doubt run COD4 at full in windows ;)
    I would also recommend running XP for games as with vista you will use more power just running the bloody OS!