Late 08 MBP Sleep Issue...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by uiop., Nov 9, 2008.

1. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

My two week old MBP is experiencing a sleep issue. When I go to open the lid, about 10% of the time, the screen is black and the computer seems to be "dead." The fans are running, however. Pressing buttons on the keyboard, the trackpad, or even briefly pressing the power button doesn't wake it from sleep mode. I have to force it to shut down by holding the power button for a few seconds. Anyone have some insight on what this issue could be? Great thanks in advance. ;)

I uploaded a video to Vimeo just to show the issue: http://www.vimeo.com/2199814

2. Mercellus macrumors regular

I have heard of this happening when a hardware event occurs while the computer is in sleep mode (for example, if you were to unplug a USB mouse), or if you have a Bluetooth device that is configured with the ability to wake up the computer from sleep mode.

What I would recommend doing is going to System Preferences > Bluetooth, click on the Advanced button, and then uncheck "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer" if you have any Bluetooth devices paired to your computer. Also, ensure that no hardware events are occurring while your computer is in sleep mode (don't disconnect or connect anything to any ports, change external monitors, etc).

If you look in the Console, what are the last few events prior to having to shut the computer down? You can find that information by going to /Applications/Utilities, and opening the Console application, and then looking at the system.log file.

3. uiop. thread starter macrumors 68020

uiop.

I looked at the system log but wasn't able to determine anything. The issue happened twice this morning too. :mad:

Anyone else...?

4. happysymptom macrumors newbie

Yes, this has happened to me once so far. I was forced to hold the power to restart the machine. I tried closing the lid and opening it again, to no avail. I think I'll start a new thread on this, to find out as much as possible.

Good luck.

5. tekmoe macrumors 68000