Late 08 MBP - Upgraded to Snow Leopard - Problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iBrody, Nov 20, 2010.

1. iBrody, Nov 20, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2010

iBrody macrumors 6502

I needed a bigger HDD and so decided to upgrade to SL at the same time; install went smoothly, ran 'Verify Disk Permissions' in Disk Utility, all fine, ran updates including Java update, and now Disk Utility is showing Permissions differ on "System/Library/Jave/JavaVirtualMachine/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/..."

I assume that I can ignore these? And why do these permissions only show once the updates have been installed?

In addition, the trackpad seems very sensitive after the SL install, when moving the cursor around a web page on Safari, a selection will randomly be highlighted or a weblink will be activated even when I haven't clicked it! (I have my trackpad settings on 'tap to click').

If anyone have any comments or solutions on any/all of the above would be much appreciated.

*EDIT* I think I may have resolved the trackpad issue by disabling the Three Fingers swipe to navigate option.

2. mac2x macrumors 65816

AFAIK, you can safely ignore most permissions messages given by a disk verification. I wouldn't worry unless you are having problems.

My MBP is a late 08 as well. :) 4 GB RAM + Momentus XT and SL is sweet. :cool:

3. iBrody thread starter macrumors 6502

No problems apart from the trackpad is still a bit sensitive, just sometimes randomly open links on pages when I hover over them even though I haven't tapped the trackpad! I thought I had resolved the matter by disabling the three finger swipe thing, but I don't think it has done anything.

Bit annoying really.

I upgraded my HDD from stock CTO Hitachi 320gb 7200 to WD Scorpio Black 500gb, very quiet and doesn't get hot. I contemplated the XT but didn't want to chance it as there are a few threads with owners who are having problems. Glad yours is ok.

4. brijazz macrumors 6502

brijazz

Using Disk Utility's "Repair Permissions" should be part of your regular Mac maintenance; don't worry about any errors unless you're having trouble accessing applications, documents, etc.

Here's a good guide on Mac maintenance routines:

http://is.gd/htx6B

5. mac2x macrumors 65816

Now that I think about it, tap-to-click has always been über-sensitive on mine. Never thought of it as related to SL though.

Yeah, my XT is fine. Most of the complaints are resolved by the firmware update. :)