Late 08 MBP wireless issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SpecOps2087, Nov 15, 2008.

1. SpecOps2087 macrumors newbie

Hey all, I bought a new MBP (late 08 model) a few weeks ago and everything has been 100% perfect with it.

However, now that I've been using it for a while I finally tried wireless and to say the least its pathetic. I'm using standard router to broadcast a b/g signal for my iphone / other devices and using an airport extreme to broadcast an N signal as well as print server / HDD hub. I'm using the 2.4Ghz N signal since the 5Ghz won't reach all parts of my house.

My gf's dell vostro can easily connect to the wireless N signal anywhere in the house yet I can have my MBP right NEXT to the airport extreme and it won't even detect the network, what gives? Is the airport really THAT bad in this laptop? And yes I'm fairly computer savy so my mac is setup to detect and connect to the network (problem being it can't even see it :mad: )

Any ideas? Is apple aware of this problem and possibly arranging a fix (assuming its software issue)?

Jon

2. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

Your SSD isn't set to "hidden" is it? (just a blind guess)

3. SpecOps2087 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it is set to hidden (I don't want other people in my area seeing my network), however I manually configured the system to connect to it regardless.

4. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

Hm, first test out that you can connect to it with the SSD not hidden. If that works then it may be something to do with the name of the network. (Capitalization, spaces?)

Have you tried restarting the Mac recently also?

5. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

You live in area full of poor 15-30 year old hackers? If you do, blocking your SSD isn't going to help anyway. Just make sure you use WPA2. As for problems with connection make sure there is nobody with surrounding networks on the same channel. Preferably you can use a channel as far away as possible from nearby networks. Airport Radar Widget or AirRadar app. Airradar will help to see how much interference you are getting too along with signal levels.

6. SpecOps2087 thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I should have specified, it sometimes takes a LONG time to connect to the network and other times it'll hook right up. But for example, about an hour ago I was sitting right next to the router and I had to refresh the network list about 10 times before it finally found the network. Now I just tried it 2 min ago and it found it within 20 seconds.

7. SpecOps2087 thread starter macrumors newbie

Regardless I shouldn't be forced to show my SSID unless I want to. Every other computer that I've had has been able to automatically connect regardless yet specifically the MBP has a VERY hard time doing it is unacceptable. I guess on a good note, I hardly ever use wireless :rolleyes:

FWIW, I just tried connecting again, approx 2 feet from the router with no luck and the dell 30 feet away is working just dandy.

8. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Maybe you should get it fixed? Go to the Apple Store.

How have you been connecting to the internet previously? Ethernet?

9. SpecOps2087 thread starter macrumors newbie

I connect via ethernet, yes, 9/10 times. I've done a little testing and it connects fine to the airport extreme if SSID is shown. If its not shown, it'll have the hardest time connecting. For the time being I don't mind much, but I can't understand why it can't connect unless its shown. The computer will connect to my schools wireless router that has the SSID not shown perfectly fine and thats an old pos linksys.

10. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

You could try posting this on the Apple Discussion boards. Maybe someone knows a solution. Or perhaps you'll just have to get it repaired.