Late 08 Trackpad Hard Clicking

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ryannazaretian, May 20, 2010.

1. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

My late 2008 MBP has been experiencing random times where I have to press down really hard (on glass) to get it to click. Obviously hardware related. It makes the "click" noise, but doesn't click on the OS. If I push harder, it picks up a click, but if I let off any pressure, it releases, while still pressed before it "clicks" back to normal.

I'm going to keep using it until it's no longer random because I believe I'll have a hard time convincing Apple to fix a trackpad that is currently working perfectly at the repair center. I don't really care that much right now because I'm mainly on OSX, where tap-to-click works (unlike Windows... which only kind of works)

Anyone else have this issue?

2. dwdillard macrumors newbie

Yeah- I had a unibody Macbook with the same issue, and my 13" MBP is currently having this issue again. I'm just waiting for school to get out before I take it in to apple to talk about it, since the last time this happened, they kept my Macbook for a month.

3. jlocalled macrumors member

jlocalled

No such issues on a Unibody MacBook Pro 15" from October 2008. It's perfectly fine. I'll assume that you have installed the Trackpad updated from November 2008.

I don't think it would be anywhere near easy to fix it yourself, since parts don't seem to be easily available.

4. dwdillard macrumors newbie

when I brought my 08 unibody macbook in to the apple store (still covered under warranty) they went through a lot of hoopla- created a new user account, tested to see if it would still have the same issues... Eventually they determined that it was a hardware issue and replaced the trackpad.

of course, that computer's logic board got fried a month after I got it back from being fixed, and so I ended up with the MBP that I have now (and I'm beginning to notice the same trackpad issues...)

5. ryannazaretian thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Well thanks for the replies. I was just curious if anyone else had the issues.

jlocalled, all updates are installed. It's simply the button not making contact inside. If I had to guess, it's probably a small layer of dust preventing contact. I can usually make it work for a while if I go super crazy with clicking it like 200 times in a minute. It clears out whatever is keeping it from making the connection inside, but then again, the issue comes back later.

6. ryannazaretian thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Yep, mine's not getting any better now. I'm just getting back from a business trip, and I'm in the airport. I had to use a mouse all weekend because of this flipping thing. Tap to click is my only option right now.