Late 09 iMac or Early 09 iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SachaS, Nov 11, 2009.

1. SachaS macrumors regular

Guys,

Help me out here...

I can get the early 09 3.06ghz 24inch with the nvidia card with 512mb dedicated graphics for 50 quid cheaper than the 3.06 late 09 model with the ati 256mb dedicated...

Which one is the better model?

Bare in mind that it seems the new iMacs have a slower processor. The early 09 have 6mb shared l2 cache while the late 09 have only 3mb! What gives?

Any help here would be much appreciated...

2. nutmac macrumors 68040

According to most benchmark, such as this one from Macworld, you will probably see a slight decrease overall (with some exception) with the new model. That said, the new model offers a lot more than just performance change, such as improved LCD panel (although 24" does have 10% more pixels than 21.5"), new mouse, wireless keyboard as standard feature, SD slot, and larger memory capacity.

3. SachaS thread starter macrumors regular

So its down to whether the screen and other features are of higher priority than speed and graphics performance. Though you say these a slight?

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

They are very similar machines in terms of performance. The biggest difference is the screen size and quality.

5. elmillerm3 macrumors newbie

I just bought a 24" refurbished...3.06, 1TB, 130

It hasnt arrived yet, but decided it was a better choice for my needs given
    a) bigger screen than the 21.5
    b) better graphics cars GT 130
    c) Cheaper $1349 vs 1499 for the 21.5 with the 4670 card, 1td drive for 1499

6. phatlipboardz macrumors member

Second the 24" iMac. The exact same one as a matter of fact.

It does (is doing) everything I need it to do. Very responsive and enough screen real estate for my needs.

For me, the LED didn't make a diff. Yeah they're nice, but so is this one. SD card slot doesn't really matter to me. I download pics maybe once a month, and the only other item that has an SD card is my phone and it stays put.

I already have a wireless Apple keyboard and a Logitech wireless mouse. For the money and value of the machine, I feel I got a good deal.

Either way, you're getting a Mac and that's nothing to be ashamed of.

7. moneyshot macrumors member

Definitely go the new imac!!!

I just picked one up and the screen alone is the reason to buy one! L E D :))

Its not slow by any means so that shouldn't be a concern...

:)

8. kroeks macrumors regular

annnnnnndd the new screen is even more sexy then the early 2009 one <3

9. ipodftw macrumors member

go with late imac, so much better [​IMG] you wont be disappointed

10. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

Is the screen on the new iMac really that awesome?? cause im gonna get oneeeeeee :D