Late '09 MacBook - Clamshell Mode or Not

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Jony Mac, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Jony Mac macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

I was thinking about using Clamshell mode on my Late '09 MacBook. I'm worried about heat issues though. I'm curious how many of you have the same model as I do, and if you run in Clamshell mode or extended display mode. I thought having an extra larger display would be nice.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Not a problem at all. The fans discharge out the back of the unit, near the screen hinges. And yes, a larger display is definitely nice. :)

4. Jony Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

I have the late '09 unibody macbook, and not the Pro version. I know I have vents in the back, but doing some “googling” folks mentioned that their displays still got messed up running in clamshell all the time. That was my concern.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's the same for all Apple portables, whether it be the MBA, MB or MBP. If someone had problems with their display, it wasn't from normal conditions, running in clamshell mode. Unless something is wrong with the Mac, there are no problems operating in clamshell mode.

6. Jony Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

Sweet, That makes me feel better. I wish I could power it on while it was in clamshell mode. I normally shut it down, and put it away...my friend just says let it sleep, they run better when you leave them sleep and not shut them off.

I guess I am trying to save power, and keep it tucked away so my cats dont jack with it as its on my desk, and possibly keeping it from "running" all the time.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's perfectly fine to use sleep instead of shutting down, if you choose. Like many forum members, I rarely shut down or restart. If you let it sleep in clamshell mode and just hide the mouse and keyboard from your cats, you'll be fine.

8. Jony Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

I just figured the longer I run it, (i.e. sleep) the higher risk for hardware issues / failures

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not at all. However, you don't want to run for too many days on AC power, as it's detrimental to your battery health to do so.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

10. Jony Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

Well it was not so much battery concerns but other hardware issue failures from leaving it run "sleep" all the time. I know its different hardware but my same friend has a 24" iMac. He let it sleep all the time. Now his super drive is broke, and has lines on the screen. I was wondering if that was related to sleeping.

Wow, this thread went off topic quick! LOL.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it's really not off-topic. It's fine to leave it in sleep mode. It won't affect your Super Drive or your screen or cause hardware problems. Your friend's problems were not caused by clamshell mode. Again, there is no heat venting that is affected by clamshell mode. However, if you're going to run in clamshell for extended periods, you do need to take a break and run it on battery every few days, without AC power attached.