Late-09 Mini Server Dual SSD question

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by js81, Jun 5, 2014.

1. js81, Jun 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2014

js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Quick question about dual SSDs in my Late-09 mini server:
    (not used as a server; it's my primary desktop)

I currently have ONE 120GB OCZ Agility 3 in my mini server and want to add a second drive to running as a striped RAID. Should I buy another identical drive or would any 120GB SSD be OK? Would there be any advantage to going with another Agility 3 or would I not notice any difference? Keep in mind that my mini is limited to SATA II. The reason I ask is because I can get a NEW SSD for what I'd pay for a USED Agility 3. This is a last ditch give-the-old-mini-a-boost before replacement idea...

DISCLAIMER: Before anyone goes on the "oooh, don't rely on striped RAID - it's not safe" rant, my DATA all lives on a mirrored RAID firewire drive AND is backed up twice (Time Machine and an off-site cloned copy of my most important photos and documents). The striped RAID SSDs would be only for OSX and apps. :)

2. RCAFBrat macrumors 6502

If used are going for the same price as new, sell the old and buy 2 x new SSD of your choice!

3. COrocket macrumors 6502

It's not critical to have identical drives, but if they are the same price I would get identical ones. More recent drives won't see any improvement on a SATA II interface. If one is slightly different in size you will only have the smaller amount available.