Late 11' MBP Win7+OS X+WinXP+Win8

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by SimonUK5, Sep 16, 2012.

1. SimonUK5 macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

Got a MBP set up with Win7 and OSX Bootcamped, works great.

I made a second partition to install XP and going to make another for Win8, I've installed XP and it installed fine onto the partition i made. But it doesn't show up in my boot menu, however is shows up fine in Disk Util obviously.

How i can Add it to the Boot Menu when i boot the machine?

Simon

2. simsaladimbamba

Take a look at rEFIt, since Boot Camp does not work with multiple Windows versions.

3. SimonUK5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh really? thats a bit of an Issue on Apples part :( But fair enough.

Will check it out thanks :)

4. simsaladimbamba

Boot Camp was designed for the average Joe, and the average Joe, who needs Windows running natively, does not need more than one version of Windows to do so, thus the limitation of Boot Camp and the solution via rEFIt. I used it once, when I was triple booting Mac OS X, Windows X and Ubuntu and it worked okay after I got the kinks beat out of it, but I have since given up on Windows and haven't had a dedicated Windows install since 2008 on any of my Macs.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Dumb question, but if you're needing so many versions of windows, why not use VMWare instead. It allows you to easily run multiple OSs within OSX without dealing with partitions, and what not.

6. SimonUK5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Win7 for main Windows use's. And School, Will RUn Visual Studio 2010

WinXP, my school use this so i want for mainly compatibility reasons. Will run Visual Studio 2010. Also Diablo2 :D

Win8, Just for funises :) And Visual Studio 2012

and i might have a fedora partition for ***** and giggles :)

Simon