Late '13 rMBP 15" Graphics Issue in El Capitan PB3

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by scott523, Feb 21, 2016.

1. scott523, Feb 21, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016

scott523 macrumors 6502a

rMBP keeps locking up (forced restart then required) when switching to dedicated graphics, unchecking the auto graphics switcher setting, or when I try locking to integrated only via gfxCardStatus. Anyone else having this issue in the last 3 public betas?

2. clauzzz203 macrumors regular

http://techterms.com/definition/beta_software

User issue...

3. scott523, Feb 21, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2016

scott523 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't need you to tell me that, wise guy. I can just wipe the partition and move on but I want to know if this an isolated incident or not.

4. PhantomII, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016

PhantomII macrumors newbie

PhantomII

I have a late 2011 17' and have the same problem after PB2 or 3. Just installed PB4 this morning and froze again after a couple of hours (but in a different way, vertical stripes). Rebooting with power plug out managed to get me past the grey screen.

Previous crashes could be caused changing from i to g manually by gfx or auto by system. Other times would work fine. Crashes could be frozen screen or screen centered incorrectly. Then, start-up would get stuck after the apple on grey screen, sometimes it would have a coloured static band above the black apple during the boot

Took into Apple store and of course didn't fail once..... Their tests said gpu seemed ok, (I suspected a bumpgate issue).

5. scott523 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Managed to reinstall El Capitan without losing any data. If you're wondering how I pulled it off, I rebooted into recovery mode (Command + R). WHILE connected to a TV via HDMI. Apparently, booting up while connected to an external monitor is the only way to run discrete graphics in the last 3 public betas.

Even worse, after updating to 10.11.3, the graphics switching issue remain in place. I'll see if I can back it up to Time Machine and do a clean install of 10.11.3, and then hopefully restore from Time Machine.

6. poematik13 macrumors 6502a

You DO know what a beta is, right? These types of threads are annoying.

7. PhantomII macrumors newbie

PhantomII

Interesting, I updated to PB5 yesterday and the issue remains. Actually currently not even recovery mode is booting (or safe mode).