late 13 rMBP - slow boot?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tigerintank, Jan 13, 2014.

1. tigerintank macrumors regular

I have a late 13 rMBP with 16G RAM/512G SSD/2.6 GHz processor. Great machine in most respects but...

From a cold boot it take around 1 minute to desktop. I'd not paid too much attention to this - partly hoping for a 10.9.1 fix then kind of forgot bh.

Today I cold booted my old core 2 duo 2Ghz macbook with a crucial ssd and 3G RAM and it was very was close - with a second or 2.

Is there something wrong with the rMBP?

Appreciate that the large amount of RAM has some impact but i'd still expect faster.

Anyone else with the same spec able to let me know their timings please?

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Booting is largely loading code into RAM so I'd expect the SSD read speeds to be the bottleneck so if the read speeds are similar...

TBH though is this a real-world issue? I seldom cold-boot mine, applying updates is about the only time....

3. elpocholo7 macrumors newbie

I don't believe that's normal at all. Did you restore from a Time Machine backup ? Mine takes about 15-20 secs to complete a cold boot. I would do a clean re-install of OS X.

4. fortheus macrumors regular

I am using 128 gb ssd + 8gb ram. Cold boot till entering password screen is 8-10 seconds. Bigger RAM and SSD may impact it though

5. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

6. Neocortex27 macrumors newbie

I have a late '13 rMBP (512GB, 8GB RAM) and it literally boots up in mere seconds. It's the fastest boot up I've ever had on a computer. It should not take a minute.

7. Polyphonie macrumors member

Polyphonie

It's probably caused by an app (or two) loading up as you're logging in.

On my mid-2012 15' rMBP, my cold boot-up time hasn't changed from a year ago: 15 seconds to the login window and another 5 seconds once I've logged-in my PW and all the menu bar apps are loaded and ready. Almost all the apps I have on my rMBP are purchased from the Mac App Store (with a few exception like Ai and Ps).

What I would do is disable all the menu bar apps and then re-enable them, one app at the time in order to find out which of the app(s) is causing the slow boot time.