Late 2006 iMac CPU upgradeability

Discussion in 'iMac' started by LOLZpersonok, Jun 24, 2014.

1. LOLZpersonok macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

Visiting the EveryMac website, I decided to find the full specifications for my late 2006 20" Core 2 Duo iMac, and it states that the CPU is in a ZIF socket, which means that the CPU can be taken out and potentially upgraded.

My iMac is slow with the GPU being disabled due to a well-known defect existing in the 2006 Intel iMacs (and I think to some extent the 2006 MacBook Pros) and I feel if I could possibly upgrade the processor to an Intel Core 2 Quad, or at least a significantly faster Core 2 Duo it won't be as slow.

I know, upgrading this model to a Core 2 Quad might sound very far fetched, but I want to know, do you think it is possible? Finding a Core 2 Quad that'll fit in the socket is one part, but the logic board must be compatible as well.

2. LOLZpersonok thread starter macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

3. khedden macrumors member

I think the fastest compatible CPU with that motherboard is the T7600 Core 2 Duo at 2.33 GHz. Not worth it, IMO. It will be hard finding one for cheap, and it's not enough of a bump over what you already have.

4. LOLZpersonok thread starter macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

That's one of the Core 2 Duos that could've been configured with this iMac at the time of purchase, right?

In this case, I guess I wouldn't bother with it then.

5. khedden macrumors member

It came out in the next models, in 2007. The reason is the FSB speed has to match so you are limited to the 667 MHz FSB chips. The Core 2 Quad and Extreme chips started at 1066 MHz FSB.

6. LOLZpersonok thread starter macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

Is there any way to modify the FSB speed, either by firmware hacks, software, or even soldering? If it's soldering, I won't even bother with it, and I'll just stick to the current processor in it.

Do you think it's possible to overclock the current Core 2 Duo in my iMac? I don't remember if I mentioned it already, but it's one of the 2.16GHz models.

7. khedden macrumors member

Although it's possible to overclock the FSB on some motherboards, I'm not aware of anyone doing this on an imac. Same with the CPU.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It is not possible to overclock Intell Macs. Only some of the earlier Mac Pros and Intell Xserves can be overclocked by adjusting their FBUS.