Late 2006 iMAC Options

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Sandman1969, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

My buddy gave me his old 2006 20" iMAC (MA589LL) Core 2 Duo 2.16 with 1GB RAM. He thought it was a bad drive from a power surge a few years back. Insurance covered it and he got a newer one. So he said I could have it and see what I could do.

I replaced the drive with an old 1TB I had laying around and sure enough that is all that was wrong with it. So this will be a computer for my Mother-In-Law.
    I installed Snow Leopard on it and all the other apps that should be on a default install.

I believe I can put Lion on it, if I want. Would y'all recommend that? Or just leave it at Snow Leopard? She isn't going to do anything serious. Online web games, FB, email, documentation... etc..

I told her I would get some memory if I was her. 2 x 2GB.... Since it only addresses 3GB, I should still go with matched pairs I believe.

So leave it at Snow Leopard and get the 4GB RAM?

Will be so nice to have one less Windows PC in the house to support. No more "My computer is acting funny and slow" Though my sister-in-law will probably get her old Windows PC. But, she is a lower priority than the Mum-in-law! ;)

2. Bear macrumors G3

3. Sandman1969 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

Thanks that is what I was figuring. But wanted to see if there was any pressing benefit going with Lion on it.

She probably isn't worried about the gesture and what not anyway...

4. Bear macrumors G3

Performance will be better under Snow Leopard with only 4GB of ram.

5. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Snow Leopard and 4GB RAM. Snow Leopard always seemed to be the fastest and most stable of OS X's.

Wow, to be demoted to lower priority than mother-in-law. Hope I never reach that status. I probably have in my darling wife's eyes, but will never ask. That way I can always at least think I am higher up the pole.

6. Jedi Master macrumors regular

So leave it at Snow Leopard and get the 4GB RAM

So leave it at Snow Leopard and get the 4GB RAM

7. Sandman1969 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

Well will only be 3GB addressable. But 3 times as much as it has currently. And actually SL is not too slow with just 1GB. Should be very nice on the box with 3GB.
    Though, Lion runs pretty good on the kids late 2007 iMACs with 4 GB installed and addressable.

I would think sister-in-law would always come under Mother-In-Law. Her mother and I get along pretty good. Her sister on the other hand... ;)

Yup that will be the plan now. Nice thing with that. Is I am done with it ;)