Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dopeyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Los Angeles!
I have a Late 2006 MacBook and I wanna use it as a media server by connecting a Mini DVI to HDMI Adapter.

It's running Snow Leopard so it still has Front Row.

Basically my question is, can this machine use one of these Apple Remotes?

Last edited by a moderator:

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
The remote should work just fine. I have an older white plastic one that came with our 2007 iMac and it worked on my old MacBook just fine.

Not sure about the new aluminum one, but with both being IR it should work as well.

Do keep in mind that you can go mini-DVI to HDMI but it will not carry sound. Just video. So if you're plugging it into a TV you will need another way to get the sound. Either with external speakers going to the headphone jack, or by using a PC-in on the TV if it has one. It's usually VGA or DVI along with a 3.5mm audio in jack.

Something like this:

LkCIGeWl.jpg

If you have a separate sound system though, it's usually easy as taking an aux cable (3.5mm to 3.5mm) and plugging them in. Or 3.5mm to RCA.

Dopeyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Los Angeles!
The remote should work just fine. I have an older white plastic one that came with our 2007 iMac and it worked on my old MacBook just fine.

Not sure about the new aluminum one, but with both being IR it should work as well.

Do keep in mind that you can go mini-DVI to HDMI but it will not carry sound. Just video. So if you're plugging it into a TV you will need another way to get the sound. Either with external speakers going to the headphone jack, or by using a PC-in on the TV if it has one. It's usually VGA or DVI along with a 3.5mm audio in jack.

Something like this:

If you have a separate sound system though, it's usually easy as taking an aux cable (3.5mm to 3.5mm) and plugging them in. Or 3.5mm to RCA.

Thank you for the reply.....

That's a real bummer. I wanted to use it to watch movies. But my TV DOES have the input that you pictured. How's the picture/sound quality going that route?

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
Thank you for the reply.....

That's a real bummer. I wanted to use it to watch movies. But my TV DOES have the input that you pictured. How's the picture/sound quality going that route?

Video quality should be just fine. Sound wouldn't be any different than anything else plugged in. Unless you have surround sound. But if it's just the TV speakers shouldn't be any difference.

The issue is some adapters and some TVs show up differently. Like my TV. Some computers will show it able to go to full 1080p where others don't go above 720p or get stick at standard PC a resolutions like 1024x768 or 1280x1024. Those are annoying.

Usually with a good adapter and some luck you can get 1080p. But the Intel GMA 950 in that MacBook would be better off at 720p either way. So I wouldn't worry about it too much. Should be acceptable. Just need to find a mini DVI to VGA adapter. Apple had one for example.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9320G/A/apple-mini-dvi-to-vga-adapter

Monoprice is usually alright to if they have one.

-Typed on my iPhone, please exuse random typos.

Dopeyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Los Angeles!
I also have a late 2009 white unibody MacBook... Do I also need that VGA and audio cable for this model?

Does this apply to all MacBooks??

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It wasn't until 2010 or 2011 that Macs could output audio and video from their video port. You will still have to obtain audio from your Macbook's audio port.

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
Years ago I was using an eNac 800 MHz that was running 10.5 I think (had to clone OS from a G5 as officially CPU was too slow) and it had a front row hacked in it.

I bought a irda header from a laptop molded into a USB cable.

Worked great with white remote.

This was pre HDTV running 4:3 rear projector tv via mini VGA to RCA.

Old school

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.