Late 2006 macbook, some issues

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by youssefm, Dec 23, 2008.

1. youssefm macrumors 6502

My brothers girlfriend has the late 2006, and she's having a couple of issues. The palmrest and bezel are cracked, and the hard drive just died recently. She also messed up the screen by closing her macbook on a pen, and theres internal damage, but nothing cracked outside. Now she has applecare, which means that it expired in 2008 or does it expire 2009? On apples website it says out of warranty. If we go to a genius bar do you think they will fix it, or replace it or what?

2. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

I had the same problem as you, i had a cracked palmrest but my (also late 2006) MacBook is under AppleCare until September 2009, so they replaced it under that.

I think the palmrest should have cost £114 (around $150) if bought seperately.

3. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

You can check your warranty status by going Here. All you have to do is put in your serial number and country. If you're under warranty, make an appointment and ask about repairs to your case and hdd. -GDF

4. mynameisraj macrumors 6502

He said that on apple's site it says it's out of warranty…

I've heard they are fixing the cracks on the palmrest (dunno about the lcd or bezel) even if the computer is out of warranty :)

5. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

He also said that she had AppleCare which would run until 2009 if the purchase date is in 2006 so either there was no AppleCare or it's not a MacBook.

Another possibility that it may be is AppleCare might have been purchased but never activated. If this is the case, find the receipt of the AppleCare purchase and the accompanying packaged documents and it may be able to be activated and then your MacBook will regain warranty status.

6. youssefm thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah, idk if she ever activated or not.. it is a macbook and obviously not an ibook, it has top specs for that model.. anyway she scheduled an appointment to speak to a genius (the ones here in nyc are usually nice and replace stuff for free lol) so hopefully it goes well.. i'll update it once we come back