Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

forestsprite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Assuming I want to upgrade the memory to 4GB and harddrive to 500GB anyway, would I notice a big difference between:

a) my current late 2006 Macbook, white 2.0Ghz

b) a new late 2008 Macbook, unibody 2.0Ghz

Does the newer model have other significant things besides processing power that'll make it faster, etc? I know the video card and design of components can make a big difference, but I'm not sure how much. Also, if I do decide to buy the newer model, I'll probably wait until the release of Snowloepard, if that makes a difference.

I'm using it for basic things, but want to use Parallels more and am tired of the drag when I try to use too many apps at once. I also want to play some games like Oblivion and such (nothing too top edge) and possibly hook it up to a large external monitor. I was originally looking at getting the new Mac Mini, but it makes more sense to just use my laptop as a desktop and then having the added portability when I need it. Thoughts?

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
I was originally looking at getting the new Mac Mini, but it makes more sense to just use my laptop as a desktop and then having the added portability when I need it. Thoughts?

You'll be happy you did.

The uni is prettier. It's also like a tank.

If you're noticing drag and you've got your current ram maxed out, it's time to go up. Life's too short for drag.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Dunno. What's your macbook have to say about it?

When you're doing your thing on your lappie, open activity monitor. Is it showing that all of your ram is used? Does it show any page outs?

If yes, max the ram in your existing system to a one gig stick and a 2 gig stick for 3 gigs total usable ram. Heck, ddr2 is so cheap, you may as well put in two 4 gig sticks you'll have 3.3 gigs of usable ram and dual channel memory for your video as well.

I have a white core 2 duo imac, and I can tell a world of difference between 2 and 3 gigs using parallels, and I've got a real (though underpowered) video card.

I'd spend $50 bucks on ram for your old system and see if that helps before a dropped a grand an a half on a new macbook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.