Late 2006 Macbook - Will not turn on

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by macbooker15, Dec 1, 2009.

1. macbooker15 macrumors 6502

So today, I turned my computer on in school, and it would not start up past the white screen. I turned it on when I got home, and it gets to the blue screen, and then hangs. I turn it off, and when i turn it back on, the screen flashes and it goes off. I take out the battery and run it off the adapter. It flashes and nothing happens. However, I can hear it churning, but I see nothing on the screen. The sounds are still being made, and they stop after I take out the power cord. I have backups and my new computer that i ordered left week, is on the way. Is there anything I can do?

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

3. fluffyx macrumors 6502

Hm. Churning isn't a very nice sound :).

The first thing I'd do is back up your files if you haven't already. You may need to take your computer to a professional.

4. macbooker15 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well maybe churning isnt the best word to describe it. It sounds exactly the same as when I use it normally. Also, i dont think I can reset the SMC as i dont think the computer is responding to the keyboard. neither the caps lock or the num lock keys are lighting up.

EDIT: Whoops, i misunderstood SMC for PRAM. I'll do that as soon as I get back to the computer.

5. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Well the churning sounds maybe like you HDD is starting to fail. Like as posted before I would look into backing up your machine. Let us know how you make out...

6. macbooker15 thread starter macrumors 6502

the hard drive is all good. I pulled it, and all the data is fine. For clarification, churning meant that it sounded normal. Looking back, that's probably not the best word...I guess my old computer is dead then.