Late 2006 (white) iMac vs. Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by queshy, Dec 22, 2009.

1. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Hello all,

Will my late 2006 iMac (24", 2.16 GHz C2D, 4 gb ram installed, although this machine can't address all of it) be able to run windows 7 64 bit upgrade disk through bootcamp with no prior version of windows installed? I'm not sure whether I should order the 32 vs. 64 bit software since my iMac isn't the newest mac available!

Thanks and happy holidays!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

With only 4 gig of ram, I see no reason or justification to buy the 64bit.

I'm sure you'll get all sorts of opinions as many folks believe 64bit is the way to go, because bigger is better. I'm running 32bit win7 on an 08 MBP and I'm very happy with the performance and stability. If you had > 4gig then maybe there's a good reason to go to 64bit but with only 4, I see little reason.

3. queshy thread starter macrumors 68040

queshy

THanks for the reply. Actually I have two computers and I haven't decided which one I want to install win 7 on. The other computer can definitely take advantage of 64 bit software but before I purchase that version I want to ensure that if need be it will install on my iMac.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Just note that retail upgrades come with both 32 and 64 bit versions. You can also transfer retail from one machine to the next so this seems like the best way to go in your case...

B