Late 2007 Mac Pro Graphics advice

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ringworm1514, Aug 9, 2010.

1. ringworm1514 macrumors newbie

Aug 1, 2010
    Greetings all you mac enthusiasts,

I'm hoping some of you can help me in recommending a graphics card for my beloved Mac Pro.

While it was under warranty, the graphics card died and I got a

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT card

Lately, it has started wheezing on and off and instead of ending up with a dead card and no replacement ready I'd like to buy a card soon to have ready when needed.

Please let me know what card I should buy given the following system info:

Model name: Mac Pro
    Model-id: MacPro2,1
    Processor: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
    Processorspeed: 3 GHz
    Processors: 2
    Cores: 8
    L2-buffer (pr. processor): 8 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus speed: 1,33 GHz
    Boot ROM-version: MP21.007F.B08
    SMC-version (system): 1.15f3

Thanks a lot guys!
  2. MacVidCards Suspended

Nov 17, 2008
    Hollywood, CA
    This is funny as I just posted a big warning about early deaths of the 8800GT G92 cards.

In any case, you and all of the Nervous Nellies clucking about on the 5870 thread should just calm down and wait a week or two until someone gets ahold of an actual 5770 or 5870 and tries in an EFI32 machine.

It will either work or it won't and pages of hand wringing and ranting won't change that result one bit.

If it works, great. Otherwise either a 1 Gig 4870 or a GTX285 using ATY_Init and a 7300GT in slot 3 would be my top rec's for you. But by all means, wait a week to hear result.

With 5870 prices still near where they were 10 months ago, the APple price doesn't seem as out of line as usual. If you wait, you may be able to just buy one from them if it turns out to work in 1st Gen machines.