Late 2007 MacBook Dead Pixel Questions?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by chrissgs, Aug 11, 2010.

1. chrissgs macrumors newbie

Hello all! This is my first post on these forums, so please alert me of any mistakes:). Now lets get on with my problem, I have a late 2007 MacBook with one or more dead pixels in the center of the screen. Now my question, will they replace my screen even if my warranty for it is up? I had a cracked palm rest earlier this year(I do think I did not I had warranty then either), and when I took it to the local apple store, they replaced the entire top case. Would they replace the screen, or just tell me my warranty has expired? Sorry for the long post, and thank you.

2. chrissgs thread starter macrumors newbie

Will they replace the screen or tell me my warranty expired:confused:

3. chrissgs thread starter macrumors newbie

I just noticed a lot of seperated dead pixels on the the top part of the screen:eek:, and a chip in the screen at the bottom. Is there any way I could buy a new screen and have someone install it?

4. Fast/Furious macrumors regular

Fast/Furious

Welcome to MacForums! Sorry nobody really replied to your post...

Thing is, whether your Mac gets fixed or not is almost totally dependent on the "Genius" servicing it, more so when you are out of warranty. If you didn't drop your Macbook then they might look into it, they might not. The life of an LCD display is finite, so some Geniuses might attribute this to normal wear and tear especially for a 3 year old computer. Other might replace the LCD. However if your screen is chipped on the actual LCD, then you're out of luck. It's good to take it to the Apple Store and try your luck :)

5. chrissgs thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your reply, and I do think it would depend on the genius there to because I called the apple store about the palm rest and they said they could not fix it.

6. chrissgs thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I forgot to add that it took 3 times at the store to find someone to fix it:eek::confused:

7. fluffyx macrumors 6502

If your Mac is out of warranty, I really wouldn't count on Apple fixing a display issue.

Unless you want to live with the problem, check around with local and nationwide companies for price quotes on display replacement. It's not a do-it-yourself job.

Good luck!