Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DearthnVader

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
I've got a MacBook with a broken LCD, so I pulled it off thinking the Mac would detect an external display via the mDVI port.

However it doesn't detect the display at boot, only after the OS loads. Apple must have left something out of the firmware on this model, or there is a special key combination needed.

Just a word to the wise, not that many people are still using these old Santa Rosa based systems.

No great loss, I've going to order a new LCD for it anyway, I just found it odd.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I've got a MacBook with a broken LCD, so I pulled it off thinking the Mac would detect an external display via the mDVI port.

However it doesn't detect the display at boot, only after the OS loads. Apple must have left something out of the firmware on this model, or there is a special key combination needed.
Do you have the computer set for extending the desktop or for mirroring?

If not already mirrored, perhaps try mirroring it before your next shut down.

Just a word to the wise, not that many people are still using these old Santa Rosa based systems.

No great loss, I've going to order a new LCD for it anyway, I just found it odd.
Why would you order a new LCD for an obsolete 2007? Wouldn't that cost you US$100+? As of this fall, its maximum supported OS will be 6 years out of date.

I picked up an entire functioning MacBook5,1 for US$150 off Kijiji. It's running a patched version of 10.13, as if it was natively supported.

Last edited:

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Why would you order a new LCD for an obsolete 2007? Wouldn't that cost you US$100+? As of this fall, its maximum supported OS will be 6 years out of date.

I picked up an entire functioning MacBook5,1 for US$150 off Kijiji. It's running a patched version of 10.13, as if it was natively supported.
I would assume he got one used, as looking on eBay now there are a few for sale under $40 including shipping.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I would assume he got one used, as looking on eBay now there are a few for sale under $40 including shipping.
$40 might be OK, although when I did my very brief eBay search, the few ~$40 ones I saw had blemishes or bezel cracks, so the OP needs to beware of the fine print.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.