Late 2007 Macbook Issues Upgrading to Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dmacd214, Jan 10, 2011.

1. dmacd214 macrumors newbie

Hey everybody -

My friend recently got a new macbook for christmas, and like all macbooks it came with an OS X Snow Leopard install DVD. I figured it would work to upgrade my late 2007 white macbook from leopard (2 gb ram). Unfortunately, when I click the install button, a message comes up in the installer and all it says is "Installation Failed: OS X could not be installed on this computer"

I tried to re-partition my hard drive (i read that might fix the problem) the the partitioning failed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. simsaladimbamba

Get the 29 USD version of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, as the grey Restore DVDs are machine specific and won't work with other Macs, except the same model.

And helping you pirate such an inexpensive OS is not supported on this forum, the forum rules might help you with that.
    http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules#Things_Not_to_Do

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

You didn't buy Snow Leopard, and Apple knows. This is why they are not letting you install it on your mac.

Seriously, go buy a legal copy. It's $30!

4. dmacd214 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

I'm sorry i didnt know that the restore DVD's dont work with other macs. I told him i was going out to buy the $30 package but he said that he the dvd's work on 3 other macs. I know that was true with Microsoft Office when i got it.

Didn't know that was illegal, again sorry!

Ill just go out and buy it this weekend
    Thanks

5. Yaboze macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

The $30 DVD will install just fine, as an upgrade or even a clean install.

My advice is if you don't care about the data on the HD (if it was your friends), I would wipe the HD and do a clean install of Snow Leopard with the DVD.

It breathed new life into my Macbook until I figure out which 2011 Macbook Pro I'm going to get (13" or 15").

6. dmacd214 thread starter macrumors newbie

Last night i got the 30USD version - i repaired the hard drive which was badly needed and it worked just fine.. only took about an hour to repair hard drive/install sl

Thanks