Late 2007 Macbook questions...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kona0197, May 6, 2011.

1. kona0197 macrumors newbie

So I have read these Macbooks have issues. should I keep the one I got in trade or sale it?

2. dizzy130 macrumors member

I have one. Two hard drives failed within the first year but were replaced by Apple for free and since then no problems. Other than the fact that it's a bit outdated (I want the multitouch trackpad, bigger HDD, more ram, still running leopard, etc) it's still going strong.

3. kona0197 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah this is a late model Santa Rose so I am hopeful there is no issues. I was trying to switch from Windows but i am still have worries that this Mac will fail.

BTW how does one tighten the screen hinge?

4. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

One would replace the hinges.

5. kona0197 thread starter macrumors newbie

There simply isn't a screw to tighten somewhere? Well I guess I need to take it in to an Apple store as that kind of work is beyond me. Thanks.

6. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

hinges are something you don't tighten yourself. RAM, hard drive anyone can do on a macbook. Hinges are a different beast altogether

7. kona0197 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I'll probably sell it then. Besides OSX is very confusing. :confused:

8. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

9. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

What's preventing you from getting a bigger HDD for it? And what do you need to do on your MacBook that needs more than 6 GB RAM? It is a little old, no question, but other than the multitouch trackpad it can do all the things you listed.

I have the same machine (see my sig) and I've had no issues once I got it fixed (got for free from a friend because it was spilled upon, paid to get it fixed). I'm not worried about the HDD failing since I put in my own. I mean, all HDD fail eventually, but I'm just referring to the apparent chronic issue.

10. buckers macrumors 6502

I have one; used it everyday until Christmas when I changed to a MacBook Air. Loved that thing (can't bring myself to get rid of it :rolleyes:). Very happy with its day to day performance, but it has had problems with the hard drive, the keyboard and in particular, cracks developing in the casing near the trackpad (but as I said, I used it heavily). The battery wore-out around Christmas and I had to get it replaced. If you plan to keep it in the end, I recommend getting a strong outer-shell type casing, like I had.

Other than that, I imagine they're cheap and for general computing should be fine (I have 2GB RAM, runs good with that set-up), although I recommend you back up your files regularly (as with any aging computer).

Also note that without a dedicated graphics card, it struggles to do anything intensive graphically (i.e. don't buy this if you want something to play games on).

11. kona0197, May 7, 2011
    Last edited: May 7, 2011

kona0197 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't need a bigger hard drive. It has a 320 GB drive. My files and music barely take up 40 to 60 GB of space. I'm just a bit worried about loose hinges and overall longevity of the machine. The display is not as glossy as I would expect for a newer machine either. The trackpad button has a very light click - almost can't feel it or hear it at all weather right or left clicking - when pressed and I don't know if that is a sign that it is broke or breaking. The headphone outlet is pretty loose as well and has trouble holding a jack within. Wonder if any of these things can be fixed.

Also there are some programs I need or miss, like DVDFab, that have no Mac version. I am curious if using VirtualBox and installing Windows will work for using my Windows only programs and old Windows games.

I have listed the Mac for sale. Surprisingly there is no takers.

By the way I must admit Snow Leopard is a great OS. :cool:

12. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Apple will fix this for free, and in the process it replaces your keyboard and trackpad too.

13. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

I have a late 2007 MacBook and use it as my main (and only) machine. I've never had a problem with it but I will say a couple of months ago replaced the hard drive because I needed more space (160 GB to 500 GB) and the RAM (1 GB to 4GB) to make the machine last longer. :cool:

14. kona0197 thread starter macrumors newbie

How did you deal with all the issues I am facing?

15. dizzy130 macrumors member

Oh nothing, and its been very good to me over the years since the last hard drive fail. It's simply that it's old enough now that I'd rather sell this one for what I can get and put the money towards a new MBP rather than spending a couple hundred bucks upgrading a 4 year old MB.

16. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I have the exact same MB (look at my signature). It is still my main and only computer. No problem whatsoever. What problem are you having? I am still using the 160GB HDD that came with it. It does get hot when I use heavy cpu app like photoshop, imovie, youtube and WarCraft. I am planning to reapply the thermal paste.

17. kona0197 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm having the issues I talked about in the beginning of the thread. Hinge on the screen is loose. Headphone jack will hardly hold a set of headphones in the jack due to loose parts within. Trackpad button feels light and hardly makes an audible click.

And OSX isn't all it's cracked up to be.

18. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I would reckon to get another computer rather than wasting money to get it fix. I have none of the issues you had. I am always very carefully and gentle with all my stuff. I am surprise that you are't enjoying OSX. I would never go back to Window after using OSX.

19. kona0197 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry. For me Windows just works best. There are some programs that just don't have any kind of OSX replacement.

20. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

Apple's pre-multitouch trackpads have a quiet clicker by nature. It sounds like the previous owner might not had taken care of it very well if the hinge is loose and your headphone jack won't stay in. I would take the computer into an Apple Store and see what they say.

21. kona0197 thread starter macrumors newbie

They would probably want me to pay some ridiculous amount of money to have it fixed then take it for a week. I'm in college and can't be without a notebook for a week.

22. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Is it cracking around the edges? If so:

When I took my MacBook in, they had it for less than 24 hours before they called me back and said it was done. Obviously, I can't guarantee you Apple's repair time, but if you ask first they'll give you an estimate.

23. AWallen90 macrumors 6502

Is that just the cracking on the edge that will get you a replacement of does it have to be cracked in the middle. This is what mine looks like

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...x=125&ty=86&page=1&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:8,s:0