Late 2007 Macbook (white) & Yosemite

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by stav4187, Nov 6, 2014.

1. stav4187 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and although a long time apple fan I have got a late 2007 Macbook that i have installed a SSD into and it has 4GB memory…

My question is - will i be able to run YOSEMITE on it ???

I am hoping someone will be able to help me with my question and possibly point me in the right direction… It is currently running 10.7.5 (Lion)

Thanks in anticipation:)

2. BrettApple, Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2014

BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Unfortunately the Late 2007 model only supports up to OS X Lion (10.7.5) that you're running right now. Personally I found Snow Leopard to be the fastest on the older MacBooks, but Lion works alright and is more up to date.

The earliest MacBooks that support Yosemite are the Late 2008 unibody and Early 2009 non-unibody models (and newer).

Are there any features or programs you're needing from Yosemite for? If not, Lion or even Snow Leopard should still do a good job. I ran 10.6 on one of my spare MacBooks up until last month when I finally jumped to Yosemite. Most my applications were fine with it like Office 2011, Adobe CS6, Chrome, iTunes, etc.

Source: http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT6412

Also, Apple's reasoning for dropping it with Mountain Lion was the Intel GMA GPU. They apparently didn't make proper 64-bit drivers for it, so when OS X went full 64-bit it got the axe. This is why older Macs like our Mid 2007 iMac or 2007 MacBook Pros are supported, they've got more powerful and supported video cards. Just so you know.

Ironically, it will run Windows 8.1 (even Windows 10 presumably) through Boot Camp (not officially, but it's newer than the latest OS X it supports). Since Windows still supports a 32-bit OS and drivers. I actually had a full 64-bit Win 8.1 on my 2008 model when I had it. So that can be an option. But I'd just stick with Lion or Snow Leopard.