Late 2007 MacBook with optical digital output?!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Dankex, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Dankex macrumors member

Hello all.

I own a late 2007 MacBook (white) and i was just googling for optical digital audio output because i'nve noticed the new MacBooks has this red light coming out from the audio out port. I found this apple's page which claims that my MacBook model does have this feature too: http://support.apple.com/kb/sp12

How can it be? I never found anything like that in the sys prefs and as far as i know, i should be able to see the red light coming out from the output audio port, right?!

Please help...

Thanks.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The optical out isn't activated unless you have an optical audio cable in the headphone/line-in jack. Macs the have the red light on all the time without an optical audio cable plugged in are malfunctioning.

3. Dankex thread starter macrumors member

Hm, thanks for the fast reply! I do have one mini toslink cable but i can't really plug it to anything - should the light come up anyway?

EDIT: Oh wait it is working! :D Now i just need a mini toslink fmelate to male toslink adapter so i can plug this into my new 2.1 speakers :) (my toslink is a mini-toslink end- to end)

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If the cable is plugged into the Macbook, then the other end of the cable should glow red.

5. Dankex thread starter macrumors member

Yes, it is working.
    Thanks. :)
    I will now talk to the friend who has his glowing all the time...

Is there any difference between this model and the late ones? Do the new ones offer better sound quality or the audio card is the same? I assume it is coming from intel...

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The sound quality is almost identical when using the same output method.

7. Dankex thread starter macrumors member

Ok, but is there any difference in audio cards? Just a curiosity...

8. Dankex thread starter macrumors member

You may close this thread.

Thanks for all the help!