Late 2007 MBP 15" kernel panics, screen flickering

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maschinetheist, Feb 5, 2010.

1. maschinetheist macrumors newbie

maschinetheist

Hi all, this is a juicy one:

Late 2007 MBP 15" kernel panics upon boot up and requires two /sbin/fsck -fy filesystem checks in single user mode/safe mode in order to get it to boot. Once you are at the login screen, it hangs after a bit/login and the screen starts flickering fast and visibly. There is also a faint visible "blotch/ink blot" like transparent area on the screen when it flickers (just to let you know, the screen looks FINE, no black blots (common for broken LCDs) and there does not appear to be any physical damage.

Anybody know what the heck might be going on? So far, I can already tell you that I DON'T KNOW if the machine was dropped or what the user did do to it (I'm only fixing it).

Also, during the fsck, I commonly get this: "Incorrect block count for pcscd.pub" it should be 16 (or 17) which gets me scratching my noggin (googled it, not much that I was able to do to fix the machine though). Fsck fixes that, but upon the next reboot after the kernel panic, I get it again in fsck.

We called the machine but of course when it was not bought the AppleCare was not registered (even though we bought it for the user) so right now we're waiting for Apple to register it (had to fax the receipts/POs) which usually in my experience only took few minutes to complete before we can even take it to the store.

My questions are:

1.) wtf is going on.
    2.) Hardware problem? Bad Logic Board/GPU? Hard drive going bad?
    3.) Software issue? Reinstall OS X?

Any recommendations/insights are welcome.

Thank you,

maschinetheist

2. ipodrocker macrumors member

ipodrocker

i got my 15" MacBookPro in the summer of 2007 also having the same problems at outlined in the first post. I thought Leopard had screwed up so I did a fresh installed and the osx worked fine but after I rebooted after the osx updates were downloaded and installed I get the fast flickering and then the os freezes and I can do anything the mouse will move but thats about it.

I have done a few hard resets but didnt work either, but sometimes the login to the os works fine.

can anyone else shed some light on this???????????

Thanks