Late 2007 MBP Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thewindow, Apr 12, 2011.

1. thewindow macrumors newbie

Hey all,

This problem just starting happening today and I wanted to get some insight. I know it's old so it may just be that it's dying, but I was watching a video and all of the sudden the screen just started flickering and the picture just froze and changed colors. The sound was fine though.

I turned off the laptop and tried turning it back on with no luck. After a few minutes or so, I got it to turn on. It stayed on the grey Apple loading screen and just froze there (there is also this border line looking thing on the left that showed up). I turned it off and turned it back on with the same thing happening. After trying 3-4 times, the grey loading screen finally looked normal and loaded correctly.

I had to leave so I put the laptop to sleep and when I came back the same thing happened. However, this time the loading screen passed and as the home page was loading, it just froze on this blue flickering page. Now I'm afraid to put the laptop to sleep or turn it off since it would suck if it won't load up at all the next time.

I read somewhere that the battery may be the issue?

Here is a pic of the loading screen with the 'border' on the left frozen:

[​IMG]

And here is a video of it flickering while trying to load the home page:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC8CpGAF9Uo

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

I'm sorry to hear of your woes. My first thought is it could be the nVidia hardware issue. See this Apple support page about it: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2377

I had similar issues with my 2007 MBP (2.2GHz), and also experienced hardware freezes. Apple replaced the main circuit board free of charge, and the computer has been stable ever since.

According to the page above, the free repair applies to Macbook Pros bought within the last four years.

3. thewindow thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your input, but yeah mine is going on its fifth year :(. This MBP has been flawless and it's just weird how it randomly happened today. No other inputs? I guess I'll need to take it into Apple and see what they say.

4. tirzah macrumors newbie

If it is late 2007 model then your are within the 4 yrs. I had problems with my 2007 earlier this year. I brought it in and Apple replaced the logic board, no questions asked. Good Luck!

5. thewindow thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome, just made an appointment tomorrow and hopefully this gets resolved. Thanks for your help!