Late 2008 15" MBP battery bulging

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eatrains, Mar 28, 2011.

1. eatrains macrumors regular

The battery on my unibody Late 2008 15" MBP is bulging and stretching the case. The battery won't sit flat on a table. I'm not that close to an Apple Store... what do people think my results would be if I took it in? My AppleCare has expired; does Apple usually replace bulging batteries even out of warranty? Or will I have to buy a new one?

2. AFPoster macrumors 65816

You'll have to buy a new one. Also before it explodes remove the battery and just power on your mbp but it's power cord.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Based on others who have posted their experiences, while not guaranteed, your chances are pretty good that they'll replace it, even out of warranty. Bulging is definitely sign of a defective battery. It doesn't hurt to ask. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

4. brentsg macrumors 68040

I think that they'll replace it only if it's under Applecare or warranty, otherwise you'll pay.

This is based upon my recent experience and conversation with one of the reps.

5. euphoria47 macrumors member

A friend of mine had an out of warranty fix for a first gen MBA with a bulging battery, free. It also had a broken hinge which apple is known to fix for free. So maybe that was a special case? This repair was done less than 6 weeks ago

6. brentsg macrumors 68040

The official line is they won't, so it's a matter of finding someone willing to do it.

7. eatrains thread starter macrumors regular

Has anyone had experience with non-Apple replacement batteries? They seem to be much cheaper, but are they of worse quality or anything like that (not that I'm too thrilled with Apple's battery quality)?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wouldn't trust or recommend any battery that didn't come from Apple, based on the number of complaints I've read in the forum by those who bought 3rd party batteries and had problems.

9. brentsg macrumors 68040

Hahaha, true.. I barely even trust the batteries that come from Apple!

10. eatrains thread starter macrumors regular

What about Apple-branded batteries from elsewhere, like eBay or something? Any way to avoid paying the full $130 Apple freight? It seems like something that should just be replaced as a manufacturer defect or something anyway.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you take it to the Apple store, they might replace it free. It depends on how nicely you ask and who you talk to. They've been known to make exceptions to rules to keep customers happy. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

12. gilbar macrumors newbie

A few months ago I took my 2007 mbp in for a bulging battery and they replaced it free. I'm guessing some of these batteries have their own warranty program for known defects.

13. smileyborg macrumors 6502

smileyborg

My Late 2008 Aluminum Unibody MacBook had this same issue about 2 months ago. I do have AppleCare, but when I went to my local Apple Store and showed the guy the battery, he went to the back and brought out a brand new shrink wrapped retail battery and opened it. THEN he said "You have AppleCare right?" to which I nodded, and he gave me the battery and took my old one. Didn't check in the computer or anything. So they clearly know this is an issue and in this case, didn't seem to be too stringent about it.

Both the user manual for the battery and the Genius did mention that this is actually normal. The battery bulges to prevent bad things from happening.

YMMV, of course.

14. Flantec macrumors newbie

I purchased the my late 2008 unibody laptop the day they announced them in October and I purchased apple care. If you did purchase applecare, yours is still covered because mine does not expire until October of this year.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The OP already said they're out of warranty.

16. Flantec macrumors newbie

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Or it's not a Late 2008, but rather an Early 2008.

18. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I recently replaced my battery in my macbook for this exact same issue, but I replaced it with a non-apple battery.

Looks exactly the same, even has the gauge on it. The only difference that I can tell is that it's not a 100% perfectly flush fit on the bottom. But the laptop sits flat and it's easily good enough, seeing as it cost less than £30.

It holds a good few hours charge as well - what else do you want from a battery. I was skeptical, but then considering the difference in cost I figured it was worth a shot.

19. eatrains thread starter macrumors regular

I originally got a mid-2007 MacBook Pro when it came out, along with the extended warranty. Then it got hit with a bad battery, then it had the nVidia graphics issues, then it came back from repair with a faulty power supply, then it got stuck at the Texas repair place for weeks because of a hurricane. So when it had a screen problem in October 08, Apple just gave me a new unibody. So even though the computer was brand new, the AppleCare was still linked to my original MacBook Pro and expired in summer 2010.

Of course this laptop has had lots of problems (AirPort freezing and crashing the computer, display flickering on the integrated graphics card, etc). And now the battery is bulging. I've had bad luck.

20. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

My battery has swollen to the point that I can't close the battery lid. I'm gonna ask nicely at the Apple store for them to replace it, but I'm not expecting much.