Resolved late 2008/2009 macbook air has problems starting.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by harry cohen, Jul 11, 2013.

1. harry cohen macrumors newbie

Bought this computer new a long time ago and it did well until I decided that it was maybe a good idea ti install a free version of AVAST antivirus.
    From then on, the computer started having problems with start up.
    I uninstalled AVAST and eventually did an operating system reinstall.
    Computer still has problems starting. most of the time will not start unless I press the shift, option and command keys.
    It takes a long time to get to the desktop, sometimes it freezes and one has to shut it down and start all over.
    Once the computer starts, there are no problems with surfing the internet, opening windows or freezing. Only once in a while has safari shut down.
    It used to be that one could resume using the computer upon opening it but now once you close it, it shuts down.
    Did go to utilities and did repair disk permissions (whatever that means) but that did not help any.
    I really do not know much about computers and am amazed I have not messed this one for good . It sure is a good one.
    Thank you in advance for any suggestions

2. Suraj R. macrumors regular

If I were you, I'd back up all of my information on an external HD, then format my internal Macintosh HD and do a fresh install of ML on there.