late 2008 (alu) macbook & MacOS Sierra

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by holly-2016, Sep 22, 2016.

1. holly-2016 macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I've got a late 2008 Aluminum mac book that still runs like a champ. Aside from putting extra ram (8GB) and a SSD Drive into it, I've not modified it other than OS updates.

I've read online that the spec *should* run Sierra fine and you can either get it on by either flashing the firmware or doing the guide run by 'dosdude1'.

Is it possible to do a firmware update so you can simply update it via the app store?

Many thanks!!!

2. lambertjohn macrumors 6502

Why would you want to do that? What benefit do you think you're going to get from Sierra running on a 2008 Macbook?

3. holly-2016 thread starter macrumors newbie

Keeping the device current? Getting a few extra years out of the machine?

4. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

I've upgraded mine to Sierra using DosDude's patch. Very easy now the tool also acts to download Sierra from the App Store for you also. Patches onto an 8 GB USB stick in about 10 mins and then I left the machine to upgrade as I popped out for an hour or so. When I came back, it needed rebooting to the USB stick and the post install patch running. About 5 mins later I was into the Sierra desktop!
    I know a lot of features aren't supported (Apple Pay on web, universal clipboard etc) as the late 2008 MB doesn't support continuity, but the main reason I wanted it was for another year of security patches and the increased speed over El Cap.

5. Ethan H 1234 macrumors newbie

Kiranmk2, I also have a late 2008 mac, and I've been trying to work out what impact it not being supported for Sierra will have. In practice, what impact will not being able to update the OS have? I don't mind missing out on the extra features, I just want to be able to continue to use it for basic functions (browsing etc). Will not having the latest OS mean that before long things like flash won't be updatable etc?

Thanks for any light you might be able to shed on this!

6. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

I think you'll be fine for now on El Cap. The issue will come if there is an MacOS security hole discovered. Even then, I would think that El Cap would be patched by Apple in this circumstance for at least the next year.

7. Ethan H 1234 macrumors newbie

What about things like flash player, I really have no idea about the details of this, but for example, will it be possible to watch youtube in a years time? Do flash-updates move onto the next OS that quickly, and it there a work-around?

8. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

YouTube's moved on to HTML5 so that shouldn't be a problem. Everyone's moving away from Flash these days anyway so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

9. rendyr macrumors member

rendyr

Does anyone using the patch have any problem? I also planning to upgrade to Sierra, although I still have no problem at all using the current system, since there are not much feature gains because it lacks of Bluetooth 4.0 :(.

10. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I've been running Sierra on my 2008 Aluminum MacBook since the second day Sierra was released. i used dosdude's method. I have not experienced any issues at all. Very easy to install.

macOS Sierra Patch Tool

11. Jimmy* macrumors newbie

Jimmy*

Feel like I've got a new machine with my late 08 MB. Recently upped the RAM to 8gb and put in a 250ssd. Handles adobe creative suite with no lagging.

Almost disappointed cos now I can't justify getting a new one.

8 years old! and feels so fresh and zippy. I'm sticking with El Capitan btw.

Battery's on its last legs, but doesn't bother me as it's always plugged in with an external monitor