Late 2008 iphone 3g not opening applications

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by emir, Jan 20, 2010.

1. emir macrumors 6502a

emir

My iPhone 3g i bought late 2008 (november or october, i can't remember) is not opening any application. it opens the ones Apple made such as contacts, phone, ipod, safari but it doesn't open any of the ones i downloaded and paid for in the iTunes store. should i go to an Apple store or is there a fix?when you try to open an application and tap on the icon (an application which is not native with the phone, downloaded with itunes) it crashes to homescreen. i restarted it and everything by pressing power and home button at the same time etc...

2. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

It sounds like your third party apps have been corrupted. There are several things you can do. First, try taking all third party apps off by going into iTunes (with your iPhone connected) and deselecting Sync Applications under the Applications tab on your iPhone's device page. Then, once you sync all of them off, disconnect your iPhone and reboot it. Make sure all the third party apps are gone. Then reconnect to iTunes and sync all the apps back on by selecting Sync Applications. Let the applications sync and then see if they will open. Let us know if this works.

DPA

3. emir thread starter macrumors 6502a

emir

i am in shock right now. i plugged it in to itunes and it says. Congratulations your phone has been unlocked. WTF? i've using this for 16 months what's wrong? i don't want to lose all my information. what should i do?

i didn't try to set a new iphone i disconnected it and plugged in again, now it recognizes it but the name of the iphone is changed again to iPhone (which was not it) and now it is backing up iphone. we will see what happens.

4. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

It said your iPhone has been unlocked? That's impossible. iTunes can't unlock your iPhone nor can it jailbreak. Can you tell me exactly what the message said to the closest of your memory?

DPA

EDIT:

Sorry, I replied before you edited the post and didn't get the last bit of information you added. It seems like iTunes is trying to set up a new iPhone. Once the sync is complete see what data is on the iPhone. If it is wiped you will have to Restore form a Backup. This should also fix the original app problem.

5. emir thread starter macrumors 6502a

emir

"Congratulations your iPhone is unlocked, click continue to set your new phone"

i don't think it means jb by unlock, it is sim-card lock i think. i disconnect and reconnected "not" clicking continue and it synced this time. after a 5 minute sync it is all fine now but what can be the cause? i mean iphone got pretty old, should i go to Apple hoping to get it replaced. All in all it is slower too and has battery issues.

6. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Ok, I understand what iTunes was telling you now.

Unless you bought the AppleCare Protection Plan, you will not be eligible for a replacement or any free services, so if it's fixed and you don't have any more issues, don't bother taking it in. If you are under warranty, you could take it in but still, you don't have any major problems anymore.

DPA