Late 2008 Macbook (Alu) swollen battery! O.O

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by peepboon, Mar 9, 2010.

1. peepboon macrumors 6502

peepboon

I pretty much use my Macbook in desktop mode (closed lid) since I bought it. Few days ago, I needed to do a SMC reset and the lid didn't go back on properly, it had a slight squishy feel O.O - but after a while I noticed the battery was rocking on the table. Seems like the battery has swollen up.

It might be a defective battery but I think it might be heat issues. With the lid open, it runs a lot cooler, almost a 10 degrees difference. Does any one have a similar problem?

Oh, tried to get it replaced by Apple but because its more than a year they want me to buy a new battery :(

2. chill. macrumors 6502

i was literally just thinking about posting this same issue.

i have a 2008 alum unibody macbook (bought oct 2008), and for the first few months i used it as a laptop, brought it around everywhere. in the last few months tho, it has been sitting on my desk (lid open always and connected to external monitor) and i take it off battery very infrequently, every few weeks or so. i have noticed that it runs hotter when lid is closed, which is why i always keep it open

the battery has swollen maybe a millimeter, when i press down on the battery it makes a popping/clicky sound, and the battery cover has warped outwards like a millimeter or so

it's noticeable but only if you're looking for it. and my macbook is also out of warranty

3. peepboon thread starter macrumors 6502

peepboon

Yep, its swollen so bad that the battery lid won't close properly. :( Without the battery the lid fits flush so I am lucky that it hasn't warped the lid yet. Anyone had any luck getting it replaced out of warranty?

The only response I had from Apple is don't use the battery and buy a new one... at £99... I can't afford it :(

4. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

I would push the issue some more w/ Apple, considering its a clearly defective battery...one that COULD have caused some serious property damage if things really went awry if you catch my drift ;)

5. peepboon thread starter macrumors 6502

peepboon

im going to email Apple now. Will let you guys know what the outcome is. :D

6. peepboon thread starter macrumors 6502

peepboon

7. VelvetFannypack macrumors newbie

I have this problem with my late 2008 mbp unibody. I took it into a maclife store to see what the problem was. They told me to replace it imediately so it doesn't explode. I really don't want to spend $100-130 right now on a new battery but I also don't want my computer to explode. Does anyone know if the cheaper non-apple batteries that can be found on the internet are any good?

8. grubin macrumors newbie

grubin

This has happened to me before. If you take your battery to an Apple store, they replace it, no questions asked. Hopefully, you live near one...

9. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

When I brought my swollen MacBook battery to the Apple Store Soho, they said it was out of warranty and that I would have to purchase a new one. I even had to waste time waiting on the line to speak with a genius.

I'm going to just order a replacement battery from ebay. They can be found for less than $40 there. If I'd have seen the ebay prices before going to the Apple Store, I wouldn't have bothered wasting my time.

10. Xtraeme macrumors newbie

Add another name to the list. I bought my MacBook A1181 back in late 2008 and just noticed today the battery has a huge bulge.

I haven't contacted Apple Support yet (seeing as how late it is), but tomorrow when I do expect to be told to piss off.

Seems like another recall may be in order. The batteries are supposed to last something like 300 cycles right? I'm only at 150 and only lightly use the computer.

After everything I've heard about Apple's quality assurance and their superb hardware I have to admit I'm underwhelmed.

-X

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

strange, i had a swollen batt in my 2006 mb in 2008 or 2009 (no applecare) and was given a free one by the apple genius

depends on the dude i guess

12. Xenophon macrumors regular

And on the country, I might add. I had my alu unibody 13 months when the battery gave out. No warping, no nothing, it just died on me. Over a period of 2 days it went to a state where it held only 30% of nominal charge, lasting 40 minutes when fully charged. It had 142 cycles.

I went to my Apple dealer and he told me that not only was the battery out of warranty by one month but that even had it been under warranty, it wouldn't have been covered as Apple India considers them consumables, never mind how short they last. He didn't consider a failure after 13 months/142 cycles defective... Anyway, considering the general business ethos here that didn't come as a surprise. Good thing I didn't take the Applecare plan. The entire thing (and the prospect of buying a 100 EUR battery every year) left me more than a bit sour at Apple's shenanigans and their lack of quality. Reading up on the web I'm pretty sure that this batch of batteries has a serious problem.

13. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

A swollen battery is definitely bad news.

I had this problem once and the Apple store gave me a free replacement, though that battery was still under warranty.

In a different situation the battery died and I bought a new one as it was out of warranty.

I've mostly used Apple batteries. A few times we've bought third party batteries which were good. These were Newertech batteries.
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/powerbook/batteries/

14. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Has anyone had any luck ordering replacement batteries for Macbooks through ebay? I'm considering this seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Battery-Apple-M...wItem&pt=Laptop_Batteries&hash=item2a01dda0bf

It's listed as brand new and genuine. The $54.99 price tag is a whole lot better than the $129.00 Apple charges too. If anyone has any feedback on prior experience, that'd be awesome.