Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ohla313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
Hi all,

I just bought a used 2008 MacBook with 2.4 GHz processor, 2GB RAM, and 160GB hard drive as my previous post entails. I brought it to the Genius Bar to run a diagnostic as soon as I got it. The Genius there was so polite and kind and not only did she run a diagnostic and told me everything was fine, but that since the Macbook had Applecare until August 2011 they can replace the inner frame for free! I was so happy because the inside looked very worn out. She even included a free copy of iWork! So I picked it up today and its got new bezel and new keys and frame. I was very happy but then I turned it on...

Once I was using it, at random moments, even at times where I was doing nothing with no programs open, the fans would kick in and CPU would spike. I have a screenshot of the activity monitor and it appears to be some mds worker program? I have a Macbook Pro as well so I am not too new to this but am confused regardless.

Here is a link to the screenshot:
Screenshot2010-06-27at121120AM.png

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
That's odd, I had a similar experience with mine once when it had gone to the screen saver and display sleep, however it only happened once. No idea what caused it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.