Late 2008 MacBook back to SL

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Sword86, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Sword86 macrumors member

Maybe someone can help me out here.
    I want to go back to Snow Leopard from Mavericks on my Late 2008 Alum. MacBook.
    I have the SL disc but I don't recall if it asked me for a registration number, or whatever they call it when it was installed. Where can I find it, or is it something registered to me once I installed it? On the packaging?

Next...I have several backups of my HD on an external drive. What has me confused is they seem to be real small, size-wise, which has me concerned whether they contain everything I'll need to restore things once I format and re-install SL. Shoudn't the backups be about the same size as the 'used' space on the HD of my Mac....less the OS?

Thanks.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You do not need any sort of code to install SL, just the DVD.

How did you create your backups?

3. Sword86, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2014

Sword86 thread starter macrumors member

I have an Hitachi 750G USB external drive and I just use Time Machine. I plug it in every now and then and click 'backup now'.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If you're looking at the multiple "dated" folders in Time Machine then they'll probably look strange; each one only contains the changes from the previous one and there is some filesystem trickery to save space. The "Latest" folder should contain everything.

If the Latest folder still appears to have things missing then check Sys Prefs > Time Machine > Options to make sure that you didn't exclude anything that you need to keep.

5. Sword86 thread starter macrumors member

That's kind of what I was thinking, I just needed to hear it from someone to feel confident I could rely on the backup to restore all my stuff after doing a clean install of SL.

Thanks a lot. I appreciate it.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

No problem (even if you did quote it before I finished editing!) :)