Late 2008 Macbook Battery

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JLEW700, Jan 5, 2015.

1. JLEW700 macrumors 6502

I need to replace the battery in my late 2008 Macbook. I found a couple on ebay that are 10.8v and 45w but some say 9 cell and others say 6 cell. What "cell" do I need?

Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoff" batteries. Also, there is no assurance that knockoff batteries have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board. To me, it's not worth risking your $2000 Mac to save a few dollars on a replacement battery, but the choice is yours.
    Battery Service and Recycling
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions, including tips for maximizing battery performance. If you haven’t already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. BrettApple, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2015

BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Agreed. There's really only three batteries I'd put in my MacBook. And one that I actually did when I replaced it in late 2013.

1. Apple's OEM battery. That doesn't seem to be available anymore?
    2. OWC/NuPower battery
    3. An Anker battery.

I've gone into a bit more detail in a post from last year on the same subject. I personally have the OWC battery and it's going on a year and a half working just fine. Lasts around 4 hours depending on usage.

Here's mine. The fit and finish was just about as good as Apple's own. With a slight difference in the mounting tabs. Fit was 100% though.

[​IMG]