Late 2008 MacBook internals help

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Tea-Aholic, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

I have a Late 2008 MacBook, Aluminium and the higher trim model, the one with 2.4 GHz and the backlit keyboard.

I currently have a 2014 rMBP and I needed an optical disc drive so I took out the one in my MacBook. Problem is while I was taking it out, I ripped out one of the cables that was on the circuit board.

Can anyone tell me what this cable is (I think speaker?) and how to fix it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ZacUSNYR macrumors regular

3. jon8214 macrumors regular

from the fixit article, it looks like it is the subwoofer cable, you would need to take it to someone that is good with logic board level soldering to repair it, or you can just leave it off and have no sound from it.

4. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

lol, I already see the socket it connects to. See attached image.

Just push it back in.

Also, you don't need to take out the disk drive to use it with another Mac. You can just use DVD/CD sharing :p

Attached Files:

5. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Yup, just the right speaker/sub cable. Not even broken, just pulled out, no prob.

You can take it out and use it in an enclosure. Which is what I did with my '08 when I put an SSD in it's place way back when. But yes, Remote Disk is a much simpler option if you happen to be around the other MacBook.

In fact, I'm still using the one out of either my '08 or 2010 with my rMBP. Still need to use a CD every once in a while. Usually for importing to iTunes. I like them lossless.

6. spadz93 macrumors member

Actually, that's not for sound, that's the SATA port for the superdrive. look more towards the fan, youll see four contact points in a line. that's where that connecter is supposed to be, but ripped off. youll need either a new logic board, or some mighty-fine soldering skills and a very steady hand to fix this one

You can see what i'm talking about in this article

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Unibody+Model+A1278+Subwoofer+&+Right+Speaker+Replacement/766

7. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

OHHHH I seeee damn lol now I feel like an idiot D:
    So the connector itself has broken off! (but not the plug) dayum...

You can see in this image
    https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/IXOVdXxYBnnBDaPx.huge

What you could do... is just cut the plug off the cable and solder the wires directly to the pads. It's probably easier than hunting down a tiny connector and soldering it on. Be sure to note where each wire goes or you will have some trouble.

Attached Files:

8. spadz93 macrumors member

this is possible. just make sure you have a soldering iron with a FINE (i'm talking finer than Mila Kunis) tip on it