Late 2008 Macbook not starting up

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Vexatious, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Vexatious macrumors newbie

I have a late 2008 intel macbook. Recently I've had issues with the airport card. When I tried to access wifi it would say I had no airport card installed, this could usually be fixed by restarting the computer or doing a hardware test. Today when I tried to turn my macbook on it froze on the gray startup screen, I tried repeatedly to turn it off and back on again, when this didn't work I did the extended hardware test, I did an SMC reset and an NVRAM reset. Still no results, it has no been sitting frozen on this screen for at least 20 minutes. What should I do?

2. pmontanarella macrumors 6502

Hi,

Not sure if this helps but I had a similar issue on my Late 2008 MacBook when I installed Snow Leopard a few years ago. I took it to the genius bar and pretty much all they did was boot from the install disc and re-install the OS (it didn't wipe the hard drive). Try booting into the Lion recovery partition (or if you have a Lion install disc/usb use that). I'm pretty sure it doesn't wipe the harddrive however i cant guarantee... hopefully you have a backup

Hope this helps,
    Pietro