Late 2008 macbook or 2009 macbook. Need some clarifications.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gfxguy, Jun 17, 2009.

1. gfxguy macrumors newbie

Hello Macrumors members. I'm a newbie here and I need some help with something. Hopefully, this should put me in the path of being a regular member :)

Anyway, I'm buying a Aluminum macbook this week, one of the late 2008 13" models, the guy at the store said I could wait a couple of more weeks if I wanted to buy the 13" pro version. While I was thinking about waiting a couple more weeks, some questions aroused after reading about the new macbook pros in the macbook forum.

Please do note that I don't live anywhere near an apple store, in fact, we don't have any apple store here but just dealers and resellers. Which means I won't be able to go to a store and swap in case I don't like anything on the one I bought.
    One another thing that concerns me is that if I buy a 2008 alu mac and the battery goes out after a year, will I be able to find a replacement easily? Since the removable ones seems to go extinct?

1. Battery: my first question is about battery. I was going to buy a 2.0Ghz late 2008 model. Could the macbook owners please tell me how many hours could get if I was running Photoshop, Xampp, firefox and airport under battery saving preferences?

2. Heat: I heard the the new 13" macbook pros runs hotter than the late 2008 macbooks. How true is that? If I was running Photoshop and the other ones I mentioned above, how much hotter can it get if I was using the new macbook pros?

3. Screen: I read in the forum that the new 13" macbook pro screens are way better than the ones on the 2008 aluminum ones, but I also read that one version of the screen (9c9e or something) sucks while the other versions (9c9F may be) are the ones you actually accept. My question is, which version should I look for if was buying a mac pro? Which one is the safest so far? Are 2008 alu mac screens that bad?

Hope you guys help me out here. I'm really getting confused here guys. And with all due respect from my heart, please don't post any "I heard/i read that" answers, buying a mac is big for me, so please reply if you actually own a 2008 or 2009 aluminum macs with 13" screens.

Thank you once again for reading this~~

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1. Maybe 3 or 4 hours, just guessing

2. Haven't heard any heat issues, if there are, it's because of intergraded battery

3. New ones have better screen but '08 models screens aren't bad either

How much is the prev gen model? If it's the same it was before update (~1100€) don't buy it then. When they get new ones, it'll be less than 1000€

3. gfxguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Hellhammer for your reply. And yes, the guy from the store also said it was going to be cheaper than the 2008 models.

4. gfxguy thread starter macrumors newbie

::Friendly Bump :eek:
    Anybody else wanna help me out with these questions?? Please, I really need some answers here :confused:

5. robindahlia789 macrumors regular

My answers are the same as HellHammer.

if I'm using the computer lightly, as in itunes, safari, adium. i get about 4 in a half hours and 5 if i'm lucky. my temps go from mid 40's to mid 70's depending on what i'm doing (temps came from istat) personally i think the older 08 macbooks are awesome. and the screen is beautiful.

6. gfxguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your kind reply robindahlia789. I'm kinda getting the idea of battery life now. My biggest concern was screen actually, I mean, I really don't like to think that the last gen screens are worse than the one on my HP. I mean, it's apple after all.

I'm a web/graphic designer, I work mostly from home, 4 hours is enough for me, but screen is quite important for me, not that I'm gonna be doing all my designing on it, but yeah, it's important. I know this would make a lot of people recommend a 13" pro, but I don't why, I just have a bad feeling about the 13" pros, especially the batteries. One other thing is the heat, plus the lack of dedicated audio input, and the sd slot looks really ugly. I don't know why and how, but someone in my head is telling me that the last gen macs would be the safer choice. Man, I wish I could find a couple of graphics designers who's been using 2008 macbooks.

7. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Apple screens actually arent very good compared to PC screens, even the new pros cant compete with the upgrades you can get from Dell which offer true high color and high res displays. The macbook screen was really bad, like one of the worst you could get new, the new screen on the 13" pro is a big improvement.

8. gfxguy thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm...guess I'm gonna have to wait a few more days then :(:(:(

9. cu2010 macrumors 6502

Hmm.. are you able to buy the new 13" mbp online? If you're a student, you can save $100-200 on MBP and get a free iPod touch and a printer.
    If I were you, I would definitely choose the new 13". As for what screen you will end up with, I don't think you have the option to choose...

10. gfxguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, I'll have to drive 300 miles and get to a reseller store. That's exactly why I'm scared about the screens, there's no way I'm driving 300 miles again to get this thing replaced or something. One other thing that bothers me is that they guys they have at the store don't even know a thing about Macs, which means I'll most likely be unable to know beforehand which screen they have on the ones they have until I've checked it myself.

Anyone else on the heat issue please???

11. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

id get the macbook pro man. it will give more resale value.

12. gfxguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks mate, but the reason I'm trying to get some things figured out here is because I don't plan to sell it anytime soon. In fact, I'd like to keep it for at least three years.

13. koobcam321 macrumors newbie

1. should be 3-3.5 hrs
    2. dont know about it.
    3. i hv two answer parts.
    a) why are you particular about 2008 MacBook when you have an option to choose new 2009 Macbook Pro? Latest one is far equipped than the previous version. I would strongly suggest you to buy the newer model.
    b) i dont know how heavy is your graphic designing. if it is, give a consideration for 15" MBP instead of 13". 15" comes with a native resolution of 1440 by 900. you get to see your work more vivid, fresh and pristine. but if money is a constraint, dump 15", 13" MBP is a wonderful choice.

Good luck!

14. gfxguy thread starter macrumors newbie

15" is not an option mate, I already got a 15" pc laptop and it's works more than great. I just want a 13" mac. I don't know why I'm being so particular about the 2008 models, may be I'm a bit afraid to face the all new battery or somethin....lol. But seems like I'm gonna be getting a pro anyway.