Late 2008 Macbook Pro 15" High Idle temps

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NzAnE2K, May 19, 2010.

1. NzAnE2K macrumors newbie

I've had my Macbook pro for a while now and there has been one thing that kept bothering me. Whenever I use something cpu/graphic intensive, the temp shoots up and stays up. Normally I would idle at around 36C, but after I use youtube or play any game, the temps would stay at around 55C even after exiting all the programs and is at 99% idle. It's fine when I'm plugged in, but when I'm using my battery, I only get about 2.5 hours with the brightness on very low and wifi/bt off. Checking the stats on iStat, the battery is using 19Watts at idle.

I've tried restarting / cold boot but it it still stays high. The only way to get the temps back low is to reset the PRAM. But once I use any application besides TextEdit, the temps just shoot back up and stay that way. It gets annoying to reset my PRAM each time I want to use my battery for an extended amount of time. I took it to the Apple store and all they did was give me a replacement battery which didn't fix anything.

I've tried 10.5 and 10.6 and happens on both. I really have no idea what is going on.

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

My 15" MBP late 2008 2.8 Ghz, also has terrible battery life. 2.5 hours web browsing without intensive videos with the high battery life video. And less than 1 hour with the high performance video.
    About the temperatures, now I am using handbrake to convert a DVD for my iPhone and it is below 80C, will check tomorrow how it stays at idle and post.
    What a terrible battery life... What was supposed to be the spec?

3. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

1 hour after converting the DVD it is at 66 celsius at idle.