Late 2008 Macbook Pro Battery Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BrandonRugzie, Aug 18, 2011.

1. BrandonRugzie macrumors newbie

Alright, this may be a stupid question, but is there any way that I could convert my Late 2008 unibody MBP to use a 2011 battery?

I love my express34 slot, but I hate my 2 hour battery life...

2. yousifabdullah macrumors regular

There is no way the 2011 battery would fit your Late 2008 because the battery in the later models attaches directly to the Logic Board without a removable battery assembly, hence it's not only bigger physically but also uses a different connection than the battery in your Late 2008 MBP.

Two options, neither of which are perfect:
    a) Buy a second battery and swap batteries whenever needed
    b) Sell your MBP and buy a 17" 2011 model, those have ExpressCard

edit: I forgot, there's a 3rd option too. Buy one of those external batteries from HyperMac. Again, not perfect, but it's an option.

Sadly that's how it is... :(

3. BrandonRugzie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you

Yeah, that is sort of what I figured. I already have the two batteries, but its a hassle to turn off the computer after a couple hours and restart the thing again right away.

Thank you for your response!

4. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I'd just buy either the $50 Amazon or bite the bullet and buy the $110 Apple battery. It's too bad Apple didn't continue the original MBP design which allowed for a quick battery change. At least our batteries aren't sealed like the current models.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

2 hour battery life is pretty weak, what are you doing with your computer on battery? I have an older macbook pro(the generation before yours) and it's still on it's original battery, been sitting on the couch for 20 minutes or so and the battery meter tells me I have 2:33 left.

6. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

yeah i only get about 2 and 1/2 hour battery life on one charge on my late 08 MBP, since the very beginning. Like someone else mentioned there is those new 17in that have the PCi, but then again its limited only to the 17s i believe.

Plus the price alone is a lot, and if your like me, you got the pro so you would not need to upgrade in a long time. I'd recommend you just buy a new battery directly from apple, yeah its 110 or something like that, but it's a lot cheaper then buying a new Macbook Pro, and it will extend your life for another good while.

7. tivoboy macrumors 68030

Owc

I ordered one from OWC, they are new but third party. It was only 40$ a few months ago, lasts about 3.5 hours (which is pretty much what I have been getting all along with my 2008 MBP 15")