late 2008 macbook pro display port to dvi

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by prairiepath, Nov 9, 2008.

1. prairiepath macrumors newbie

I have one of the new macbook pros and plugged in the display port to dvi adapter and connected it to a 20inch viewsonic monitor and nothing happened. I then connected my daughter's 1 year old macbook with a mini dvi to dvi and it worked perfectly. Two visits to the apple store and a call to apple support yielded no answers. Wondering if anyone else having an issue?
    Thanks

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I've had an issue with the cursor jumping on the external LCD monitor hooked up to alum MB with DVI....

The geniuses at the applestore told me it was due to my monitor...I told them it was funny that the same monitor hooked up to a powermac g5, mac mini core duo and white c2d iMac with NO problems.

I'm not the biggest fan of apple geniuses at this point....

3. rikaro macrumors newbie

anyone found a solution to this problem? Mine is coming in on Wednesday and I want it plugged in working the first time

4. pjginfl macrumors newbie

Help! Same Challenge - DVI monitor NOT WORKING with New MBP

I have a Viewsonic VX2035WM widescreen monitor... works GREAT with my son's MacBook Pro - last year's model... but will not work with my new MPB just bought this week. Apple says port works... Viewsonic says monitor is fine... I say it's not working.

Works fine in VGA mode (ugh)... but NOT in DVI.

Yes, I have the adaptor.

Help!? Please?:confused:

5. DirtyDan macrumors member

Problem is the new macbook pros use a different adapter. It looks the same, but it isn't.

Mini DVI to DVI adapter WILL NOT WORK on late 2008 Unibody MPB.

I was given the Mini DVI to DVI adapter from Fry's when I bought my Macbook Pro when I bought it, and took it back because it didn't work. I then found out that the unibody actually uses a mini display port to DVI adapter which is slightly different than the mini dvi to dvi that works on the older macbook pros (which explains the other models working). Here is a link to the correct adapter on Apple's website:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB570Z/A?mco=MTIxODk3Mw

This is the incorrect adapter you are trying to use:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9321G/B?mco=MTIxODk3Mw

There is a $10 price difference, but it's the only way to make it work.

I haven't ordered mine yet, but I will be soon enough.

Good luck!

6. ocellnuri macrumors regular

Has anyone made any progress on this issue? I've got a unibody Macbook Pro that also refuses to work with a 20" Viewsonic through DVI. It looks like VGA will work, but I haven't bought the VGA adapter to try myself, I'd much rather not take the degradation in quality.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1757546&tstart=0

DirtyDan, if you read prairiepath's post you'll see that they're already using the Displayport adaptor.

7. pjginfl macrumors newbie

Still not working...

I've had the machine in to Apple... I've tried everything. VGA works fine (alas, in VGA Mode :()... but DVI just won't work.

Sure would like to solve it... I feel like I'm working on a PC.

New (Jan 2009) MacBook pro... mini display port to VGA adapter and mini display port to DVI adapter...

8. giodelgado macrumors regular

giodelgado

I just got today my macbook unibody aluminum base model and the mini displayport to DVI-D Dual Link cable doesn't work on my viewsonic VX2035wm with a DVI-D Single Link cable, I'm tempted to try and get a DVI-D Dual link cable to see if it works.

have you guys tried the DVI-D Dual link cable??????? maybe that will fix it since the Viewsonic LCD came with a Single Link cable ='(

here's the pics so you don't get confused:
    http://www.hisdigital.com/UserFiles/news/200902261616114965.png

9. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

10. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Yes, there's 3 variations:

DVI-D (Digital)
    DVI-A (Analogue)
    DVI-I (Integrated)

11. giodelgado macrumors regular

giodelgado

tried Dual Link and I can confirm it doesn' t work, had to buy a mini displayport to VGA cable, it works but the quality feels like a windows machine.

Hopefully they will fix this.

12. FireArse macrumors 6502a

New DVI's

I've seen this with my 2009 Mac Mini. I can't explain it. Its embarrassing because it simply should. VGA works fine. Other monitors output fine.

I have a wee theory. I think monitors with VGA connectors require the analogue signal within the DVI port. My theory is the Mini DVI to DVI doesn't hold the analogue data on it. Hence the VGA monitors with DVI only work with VGA.

I'm happy to be proven wrong.

F

13. missa macrumors newbie

I was glad to find this discussion. I got my macbook pro in late 2008 and have been trying to use a Viewsonic VG2030wm. I have the right mini display port to DVI adapter ($29) from the mac store but it's not working with the Viewsonic. I believe I've tried everything except what giodelgado suggests.

I see this on the mac store:

for the mini display port to VGA:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB572Z/A

14. giodelgado macrumors regular

giodelgado

I got used to the VGA quality now, have been using it since I got it working =/, one thing to do is also calibrate the monitor in advanced mode.

15. giftsandcurses macrumors newbie

I am in a similar situation where I am trying to output my audio and video from my late 2008 aluminum macbook pro to my 46" Samsung LCD TV. I've read about the problems with outputing to a monitor, but should I forsee the same with my TV and a DVI-D adapter? I haven't purchased any cables yet solely for this reason.

Also, I have seen some mini displayport to HDMI adapters out there. If I used this connection, does anyone know if it would output audio as well (my thoughts are no)? Or if I used the HDMI, could I still run audio through the coaxial/earphone jack configuration?

16. lba931 macrumors newbie

Update: Viewsonic DVI Still Nonfunctional on More Recent MBP 13

Mac: MBP 13 MC374LL/A
    DVI Adapter: MB570Z/A (A1305)
    Monitor: Viewsonic VX2035wm

Using a VGA adapter, MB572Z/Z (A1307), the laptop's display becomes disabled however the Viewsonic is detected and functions normally (1680 x 1050). I'm not certain this is normal behavior for external VGA displays.

I've access to a variety of other monitors, so for me, it's not a big deal. For Apple, assuring hardware validation across a sufficient number of displays seems an obvious best practice.