Late 2008 MacBook Pro gets cold - stops turning on

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lancehankins, Mar 3, 2015.

1. lancehankins macrumors newbie

OK. I've had this problem twice now in the last month. My late 2008 15" Macbook Pro with Yosemite runs fine all day long. I shut it down (normal shutdown), put it in my computer bag and do some things on my way home from work that end up taking 2-3 hours. Computer (in bag) sits in the back seat of my truck in temps that are around 10-15 degrees F. I get home, bring the unit in, plug it in and attempt to turn on. Nothing.

The first time it happened I researched online and found that the SMC can cause this problem. So I followed the procedure (I have a removable battery in this unit), reset the SMC, hooked it back up and Voila! Came back on just fine.

Second time, not so lucky. Reset several times with no effect. Left it sit on my dining room table overnight. (I keep my house at about 64 degrees F so not warm, but not really cold either.) Tried again next morning. No joy. Reset SMC again, still nothing.

Figured this was a good time to try the Genius Bar at the local Apple store and made an appointment for mid afternoon. Tech looked it over, attempted the SMC reset again. Still no go. Took it into the back to open it up and do a more thorough check. Came back about 20 minutes later saying the insides looked very clean, no obvious problems, nothing that should be keeping the unit from turning on.

Then she said since this was an old laptop that they don't carry parts for it anymore and couldn't offer any help. Then she suggested that since it was almost 7 years old maybe I should consider buying a new one...

Well, of course I've considered it, but my wallet keeps telling me NO in no uncertain terms. Besides, this one was working just fine when it was running.

I said thanks and brought it home. Decided to try one more time so I put it in the spare bathroom, shut the bathroom door and cranked the heater in there up to about 75 degrees F. Left it for about 4 hours, did another SMC reset, and it turned right on.

Has anyone else had a similar problem to this and do you have any suggestions of things to try to keep this from happening again (aside from the obvious - don't let the computer get cold?) Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2. MCSN macrumors regular

MCSN

nope i've never had to heat a machine. i think I posted earlier today that I have spent most of my life with apple older machines keeping their heart beats going by applying ice packs and nursing them into coma's so that I can get my work done before they hit 120.

my laptops have been in the line of too hot for lap, series. but thanks for sharing your experience, i wish I had that problem. 2008 aye? mine was 2006. the only cool mac i've ever had was an apple IIc.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Does it need a new battery???

Batteries hate the cold and one that is on it's last legs could easily discharge fully if left in na cold environment...

4. lancehankins thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope. Not a battery problem. Battery has been regularly excercised and was fully charged when this occurred. (Battery condition confirmed at Genius Bar.)

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

If it's not a battery problem...

Then I would guess it is possibly the start of a failed GPU, The 8600GT on that model has had issues and indeed a service policy was put in place for three years until the end of 2010 to cover any problems with it as there was a fair few that failed due to teh unleaded solder coming loose that will be exacerbated by the cold and may well be fixed by a slight expansion at higher temps...

I can't be sure of course but it would be my guess....

6. lancehankins thread starter macrumors newbie

That actually makes sense to me. I had been wondering if it could be a connection problem internally, but had no data to go on. Cold and heat would definitely contribute to a problem like that. I've seen similar things with radio and camera gear that is used outside and quits then starts to work again when brought indoors... Food for thought.

Maybe I'm going to have to have another talk with my checkbook and see if I can see my way clear to get a new unit... :)

7. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

I had the same machine as you and had the same thing happen. Although I never noticed a difference between temps. It just wouldn't boot up one day after a shut down the previous evening. I too took it to the apple store with no success. I still have the machine; it's sitting underneath my bed. That poor thing served me well for 6 years. I think it's the logic board on mine, but I can't be sure.

8. duervo macrumors 68020

duervo

The solution is simple ... You're in Alaska. :D Just move to Hawaii! Problem solved!