Late 2008 MacBook Pro Glitches

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Benguitar, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

Hello, I need some help ASAP..

My MacBook Pro started giving me terrible glitches, Where 1) Applications will quit unexpectedly and 2) I will get the gray cover over the screen with text saying I need to restart my computer.

This is happening quite often and I would really like it to stop..

I noticed it all started happening after I installed ProTools LE.

Can anyone please help me with this?

I've already erased my internal hard drive and reinstalled snow leopard, then put my necessary files back.

I have also upgraded my RAM and HDD, about 3 months ago and it's been working flawless until I installed ProTools LE.

Thank you for reading, I really hope and need to get this fixed!

--Benjamin

2. Watermonkey macrumors member

Watermonkey

Yeah, my wife is having very similar problems and playing media files seems to be the mechanism that starts it in motion. Also seems to happen at night more often than other times of the day. She noticed it after installing the "update" for Safari and doesn't have Pro Tools. I think we'll be calling apple support Tuesday... Let me know if you've found a solution... Thanks.

3. Benguitar thread starter Guest

Benguitar

Alright, I will let you know if I find out anything. I just ran the Apple Hardware Test last night on my Install Disk, This morning it read "No Problems Discovered"

So I'm a bit puzzled.

Let me know what AppleCare says when you call them, Maybe it will solve my problem as well.

4. Watermonkey macrumors member

Watermonkey

Will do. Although, you'd think someone on this forum might have a clue... Anyone???

5. Benguitar thread starter Guest

Benguitar

Thanks man, I'm looking forward to hearing what they have to say- :)

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If your computer still has problems after you reinstalled your OS it's likely a hardware issue.

If you're losing files it sounds like a hard drive error.

When you do a hardware test, it says the hard drive passed, it does not necessarily mean everything is fine and dandy.

I would try and install OS X to an external HDD (like via Firewire) and run that for a couple days and see if you still have the same issue. If you don't replacing the internal HDD may be the best option. Either buy a new drive or contact Apple if you have AppleCare. If you still have issues running via another drive, then I would advise taking the computer to Apple or an authorized dealership for further diagnostics since the extent of the amount of help we can give is quite limited.

If you wish to test memory, I use MemTest86+

7. Benguitar thread starter Guest

Benguitar

I did "extensive" testing with the Apple Hardware Test, and part of the testing process showed that it was checking the memory?

I'm not losing files necessarily I'm just having applications frequently quit unexpectedly.

So far so good, I'm seeing how long it will go until something like that surfaces again, But I seem to be floating and not sinking for now. :)