late 2008 macbook pro or new macboook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jakster4u, Oct 29, 2008.

1. jakster4u macrumors newbie

I was thinking about getting the late 2008 model macbook pro on Amazon, but I didn't know if the GPU's are actually fixed or are they just a 50/50 chance that they are going to fail again someday. The new macbooks look really nice but from the comparisons it sounds like the older macbook pros have a better graphics card.

I would rather get the late macbook pro, but if someone could clear up some of my questions it would really help.

2. hunterjoules macrumors member

Last week I was in the exact same position as you, now that the older generation MBP's are so much cheaper.

I don't know what the chances of hardware failure are. I do know that Apple extended the warranty for the grahics cards on these MBP's:

"Apple essentially announced the same yesterday. 'If the Nvidia graphics processor in your MacBook Pro has failed, or fails within two years of the original date of purchase, a repair will be done free of charge, even if your MacBook Pro is out of warranty,' the company said."

http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac/news/index.cfm?newsid=23121

In the end, I decided the price was too good to pass up.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The older MBP is still a better, faster, more powerful machine boasting superior performance to the new MB (attractive looking though that now is). It also has a far superior screen, both in size and quality. Go for the MBP. Refurb offers very good value and the Apple warranty.
    Cheers

4. hunterjoules macrumors member

Not refurbs. Apple (and other on-lline vendors) are having clearance sales to get rid of the old inventory. Brand new systems, though.