Late 2008 Macbook - Screen Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by richaardmoul, Mar 5, 2013.

1. richaardmoul macrumors newbie

hello there, always checked macrumors's forum whenever I had mac problems but I had searched for this this problem like crazy and could not find a solution.

I have a late 2008 unibody aluminum macbook ( Model ID - 5,1 )

I had my motherboard (logicboard) and hard drive replaced because of a fan malfunction ( fan was also replaced ) in 2009.

I recently replaced the ram from the stock 2gb to OWC 8 GB no problem

The issue that I am having is that my screen has been going bonkers unless i put pressure on the back casing and the front screen (which im doing now)

I took a screenshot capture to see if the crazy screen was also on the computer, as i read other forums and said try this to see if its the screen or the gpu?

I have horizontal lines that disfigure whatever image is on the screen, and sometime my screen slowly turns into black?! I've posted pictures to hopefully give a better description as mine isn't very good.

the first picture is the screenshot of my desktop, the last 3 are pictures off my cell phone of what im viewing.

any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Your explanation is a bit flaky.:p

From what I understand is that if you take a screenshot that one is OK, but the display is not, another thing, where axactly do you press, on the display is clear but on the casing where, you mean on the casing behind the display?

If the above is true the GPU is OK but the problem is the display, could be as simple as a loose connection.

3. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

Sure looks like the problem's in the display and not the GPU, but if you want to verify, you could see if the problem appears with an external monitor.

Assuming it's the display (somewhere above the hinge), what you need is
    - some very steady hands and good tools and this guide (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+MacBook+Unibody+Model+A1278+LCD+Panel/1428/1?singlePage) as well as some luck (to be able to see the bad/loose connection, or
    - a replacement display assembly, which basically means either a load of cash if you take it to apple or that you lie in wait (craigslist etc.) for a busted A1278 (MBAlu) with a working display (these might go for about 100 €/$ and the replacement is quite straightforward).

HTH,

4. richaardmoul thread starter macrumors newbie

When i put pressure on the screen and the back casing, i essentially pinch them together, and this is usually on the part where the black frame meets the LCD screen. I used a mini display port to hdmi adapter and connected to my TV which worked fine. I assume its entirely something to do with the display?

5. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

It's the screen. Buy some tools at an art store to remove the glass, buy a screen for $60 and get to work! :)

6. mihkels macrumors newbie

I've got the same problem. If I apply force to the left of the "Macbook" writing, the lines disappear.

I know that the problem is almost never the LVDS cable and I've already been told to replace the panel. But I don't like to throw away things that have the potential of being easily fixed.
    Do any of you guys know where exactly the problem lies? It seems to be connected to the LVDS cable connector on the screen panel itself. Is it a failing solder point that's potentially fixable?

The lines on my screen aren't as bad as on OP's one. Here's a picture, but it's gradually getting worse.

7. M1keyb77 macrumors member

Hi there mine was pretty much the same as that. I bought a brand new led screen which sorted the problem. Only thing with mine now is when fitting I must have knocked something and I have a white screen.
    If you want I can sell you the brand new screen?

8. mihkels macrumors newbie

Maybe you damaged the new screen? How much do you want for it?

9. M1keyb77 macrumors member

No the old screen is showing bright white same as the new one, new one worked when I quickly connected it, only when I've had it all apart something has gone wrong!
    Where are you located?

10. mihkels macrumors newbie

11. M1keyb77 macrumors member

Ahh right probably cost too much to post out if honest. Would sell the led for £30 plus postage if your still interested?

12. StockDC2 macrumors regular

Cable needs to be replaced. Your LCD is most likely fine.