Late 2008 MacBook screen issues

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Paquis, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Paquis macrumors newbie

I have a Late 2008 MacBook with 8GB of memory installed and a 500GB hard drive I installed last year. Over the 5 years I have owned it, this computer has received pretty heavy use and has been lugged all over the place.

The problem is with the screen. When I start the machine, black colors have a red pixelly 'shadow' to them, Finder alternates blue and white lines and I get a turquoisy blue on a number of other screens. I have installed no new programs or hardware int he last 10 months.

I have played with the colors but it doesn't really fix the problem.

Other than that, the MacBook works fine and I can access all my programs as well as the internet. However, the screen problems make programs such as Photoshop effectively unusable.

Is this my screen beginning to fail after 5 years of heavy use or is there a fix that I am unaware of?

2. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

If the color problem happens with external displays it can have something to do with video card's BGA soldering. There are tutorials for re-soldering at home applying some kind of heating over the video's IC, but I would take it to a laptop repair shop. They'll charge you around $100-200, but at least you'll get some kind of warranty. Other possibility is a problem with connectors.