Late 2008 MBP Burning Up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tslewis, Feb 14, 2009.

1. tslewis macrumors member

So I closed the lid on my MBP to shut it down while at the library and put the machine away in my bag. Five hours later I removed teh MBP to find ti still on and the fans going at 1000 mph. It was burning hot to the touch. Anyone else had this problem? Its bloody ridiculous especially when i remember seeing an older post showing an older MBP that had melted after over heating.

2. Stachelsk macrumors regular

Does your MBP have a hard-drive (not flash)? Because if it does, you shouldn't be rotating it or moving it until you see the light in the front pulsating anyways; the hard drive heads haven't been locked and are still rotating if that's the case.

3. eldy macrumors 6502

It has happened many times. Sometimes USB, expresscard or bluetooth devices will wake or keep your computer from going to sleep.

4. nusynergy macrumors regular

nusynergy

Was going to say the same thing. My Bluetooth mouse is constantly waking my laptop when its in the bag. I have to turn off the mouse now whenever they are travilling together.

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yeah, closing the lid doesn't "shutdown" anything. It must go to sleep mode, otherwise as other posters have mentioned, those items will continue to run, thereby heating up your MBP in a matter of minutes. Plus, if you close the lid and it's not in sleep mode, it will heat up inside a bag b/c the MBP cannot breath and the fans don't operate properly...:(