Late 2008 MBP Fans Constantly Run at 2000rpm?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spetykowski, Sep 9, 2009.

1. spetykowski macrumors member

Both my left and right fans are constantly running at 2000 rpm. They have not done this before, but over the last week I have noticed this issue. Heat does not seem to be an issue in triggering the fans. I'm so confused on why they're are constantly on now.

No CPU hogging processes or high temperatures. Any suggestions to fix this problem?

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Um, 2k rpm is the idle speed. They shouldn't be going lower than that (well, +/- a few rpm). Well....at least, they shouldn't when the machine is powered up.

3. spetykowski thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick response. Though I thought only the left fan was supposed to be on under low processing , not both. Sorry for not clarifying in my original post.

4. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Nope. Both should be at 2k or higher all the time.

5. spetykowski thread starter macrumors member

Haha, you would think using my MBP, all day everyday I would have noticed this by now... haha Thanks for the refresher :p

6. tenderidol macrumors regular

tenderidol

Yeap... as stated, your fans' idle speed is 2K RPM (for both if you have two of them). Unfortunately, Max OS X doesn't like to move them from idle even when the CPU temperature is around 75 C (when using skype in my case). Now, I increase the fan speed to 4K RPM before starting skype chats and the temps remain around 50-55 C.

7. anthemus macrumors regular

anthemus

If you haven't already, try SMC Fan Control. Gives temp and speeds, also control of the threshold for temp and rpms.