Late 2008 MBP overheat

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by scottsdomain, Oct 26, 2008.

1. scottsdomain macrumors member

Has anyone else had this issue with the late 2008 MBP?

It has overheated on me once so far, I was using the high performance video and playing WOW in window mode.

2. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Could you define "overheated"? It got so hot that it shut down?

3. scottsdomain thread starter macrumors member

Yes it got so hot that it shut down. After the screen turned off I could feel the bottom of the unit and it was really hot.

4. fawzifadil macrumors newbie

MacBook Pro overheat

Mine too it gets over heating. it also make escalating sounds of a fan that sound about to explode or something. but then some times i leave it untouched and the heat goes. once i browse or run any thing it gets over heat.

the good news about mine it does not shut down like what you are experiencing. please tell me what you found out about yours.
    Take care
    :confused:

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Would recommend taking to Genius Bar or calling AppleCare. You might also want to try to run the AHT to see if there are any errors.

It looks like someone might be setting up a MIR.

6. wbyung macrumors member

I replaced the thermal grease with AS5 and the CPU temperature decreased about 7C from about 61C (9600M) or about 52 (9400M).

The chassis is apparently much cooler. Running CPU/GPU intensive applications for minutes, the fans doesn't even beef up from 2000rpm.

I have not gone through the 200 hour break-in process.

And I'll open up again later to see if I applied too much AS5 and re-apply it again.

You might want to try replacing the grease. When I first saw the factory applied grease, it is pretty similar to the photos on iFixit.com . It doesn't seem to be too much but after replacing with AS5, it is still too much.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I've been relunctant to replace my thermal paste…

Sorry to hear the overheating issues OP; I would take it into a shop to have it looked at.

8. Tranzaddict macrumors newbie

I play WoW on my 2009 15" MBP too in Win XP under bootcamp and it does get pretty hot and very noisy with fan going full blast, but mine has never shutdown due to overheating. Though I could see it being a problem in a hot room during summer for me.

9. Drew89 macrumors newbie

Heat issue

With mine I found it best to always have it on a desk whenever I use any graphics processing. It typically is fine as far as heat goes. But in the future if you still have heat issues while it's sitting on a desk, I would recommend installing "fan control" and have the fan run a little faster than normal. It allows you to tweak the fan speeds based on temperature.

You can download it here:

Fan Control

:apple:

10. kousuke18 macrumors regular

weren't these models known for overheating problems? i had a late 2008 mbp and i remember that thing would cook itself to death (cpu temp peaked at 110C)...